Senior Research Director Michael Howard is recognized worldwide as one of the industry’s leading experts in emerging telecom markets, network operator trends, and user buying patterns. Michael co founded market research firm Infonetics (now IHS) in 1990.
Michael leverages over 45 years of communications industry experience, including 25 years in market research, to author numerous works year round, including quarterly vendor market share and forecast reports, service provider surveys, Continuous Research Service (CRS) analyst notes, white papers, and custom research. He specializes in software-defined networking (SDN), network functions virtualization (NFV), carrier Ethernet, edge and core routers, IP/MPLS control planes, IP VPNs, cloud access, 40GE/100GE, packet optical transport, mobile backhaul, and small cells.
Michael is a highly-sought speaker, and he frequently moderates webinars, chairs conference programs, and presents at industry events across the globe, including SDN & OpenFlow World Congress, SDN & NFV Summit, NFV World Congress, MPLS SDN World Congress, Open Networking Summit, GSMA Mobile World Congress, TMForumLive!, MEF Global Ethernet Networking, Ethernet World, Ethernet Technology Summit, and IEEE Hot Interconnects. He is also regularly quoted in the press, including The Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg Business, Forbes, Light Reading, FierceTelecom, Lightwave, Network World, Carrier Ethernet News, Telecom Engine, and Telecom Lead.
As a consultant to startups, service providers, vendors, and the investment community, Michael helps clients identify new market opportunities, provides due diligence, and advises on positioning, product development, business plans, and M&A activity.
Before founding Infonetics, Michael was an IT Director at Tymshare/Tymnet, where he created network accounting and led the First Interstate Bank project that developed the world's first pre Internet in-home banking system. Prior to that, shortly after receiving a BS in Mathematics from UC Berkeley, he worked for Systems Development Corporation on operating systems and programming language compilers for ARPAnet, which later became the internet.
In 2008, Michael co-authored the book, Carrier Ethernet: Extending Ethernet Beyond the LAN, which received 5 out of 5 stars on Amazon.com. An accomplished abalone diver, chef, and photographer, Michael is based in the Silicon Valley.
Michael Howard authors or co-authors the following services:
Market Size, Market Share, and Forecast Services
- 1G/10G/40G/100G Networking Ports
- Carrier Ethernet Equipment
- Carrier SDN Hardware, Software, and Services
- Ethernet and IP MPLS VPN Services
- Global Telecom and Datacom Market Trends and Drivers
- NFV Hardware, Software, and Services
- Service Provider Routers and Switches
- Total Enterprise and Carrier Ethernet Switches Pivot
- Total Enterprise and Service Provider Routers Pivot
- Total Telecom and Datacom Network Equipment and Software Pivot
Global Service Provider Surveys
- NFV Strategies
- Router and Switch Vendor Leadership
- Routing, NFV, and Packet-Optical Strategies
- SDN and NFV Vendor Leadership
- SDN Strategies
- Service Provider Router and Switch
- Telecommunications Equipment
Continuous Research Services
- SDN and NFV
- Service Provider Routing and Switching