Senior Research Director Michael Howard is recognized worldwide as one of the industry’s leading experts in emerging telecom markets, network operator trends, and user buying patterns. Michael co-founded market research firm Infonetics (now IHS) in 1990.
Michael leverages over 45 years of communications industry experience, including 25 years in market research, to author numerous works year-round, including quarterly vendor market share and forecast reports, service provider surveys, analyst notes, white papers, and custom research. He specializes in software-defined networking (SDN), network functions virtualization (NFV), carrier Ethernet, edge and core routers, IP/MPLS control planes, IP VPNs, cloud access, 40GE/100GE, packet-optical transport, mobile backhaul, and small cells.
Michael is a highly-sought speaker, and he frequently moderates educational webinars, chairs conference programs, and presents at industry events across the globe, including Mobile World Congress, CTIA, SDN & NFV Summit, and MPLS & Ethernet World Congress. He is also regularly quoted in the press, including Financial Time, The Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg Business, Forbes, Businessweek, Light Reading, Network World, and Information Week.
As a consultant to startups, service providers, vendors, and the investment community, Michael helps clients identify new market opportunities, provides due diligence, and advises on positioning, product development, business plans, and M&A activity.
Before founding Infonetics, Michael was an IT Director at Tymshare/Tymnet, where he created network accounting and led the First Interstate Bank project that developed the world's first pre-Internet in-home banking system. Prior to that, shortly after receiving a BS in Mathematics from UC Berkeley, he worked for SDC on operating systems and programming language compilers for ARPAnet, which later became the Internet.
In 2008, Michael co-authored the book, Carrier Ethernet: Extending Ethernet Beyond the LAN, which received 5 out of 5 stars on Amazon.com. An accomplished abalone diver, chef, and photographer, Michael is based in the Silicon Valley.
Michael Howard authors or co-authors the following services:
Market Size, Market Share, and Forecast Services
- Carrier Ethernet Equipment
- Carrier SDN Hardware, Software, and Services
- Ethernet and IP MPLS VPN Services
- Global Telecom and Datacom Market Trends and Drivers
- Networking Ports: 1G, 2.5G, 10G, 40G, 100G
- NFV Hardware, Software, and Services
- Optical Network Hardware
- Service Provider Routers and Switches
- Total Enterprise and Carrier Ethernet Switches Pivot
- Total Enterprise and Service Provider Routers Pivot
- Total SDN Hardware and Software Pivot: Carrier, Data Center, and Enterprise
- Total Telecom and Datacom Network Equipment and Software Pivot
Global Service Provider Surveys
- NFV Strategies
- Router and Switch Vendor Leadership
- Routing, NFV, and Packet-Optical Strategies
- SDN and NFV Vendor Leadership
- SDN Strategies
- Service Provider Router and Switch
- Telecommunications Equipment
Continuous Research Services
- SDN and NFV
- Service Provider Routing and Switching