CAMPBELL, California, August 27, 2008—Communications market research firm Infonetics Research reports that worldwide optical network hardware sales got back on their upward track after the usual first quarter seasonal decline, as total optical hardware revenue hit $4.1 billion in 2Q08, up 14% sequentially.
Infonetics’ report, Optical Network Hardware, shows that the jump in manufacturer revenue was driven by strong performances by Alcatel-Lucent, Huawei, and ZTE, in part due to increased activity in China.
“China’s telecom restructuring projects and associated announcements indicate increasing optical network hardware capital investments in China over the next several years, and have started already in 2008. Optical spending by carriers in most Asia Pacific regions generally remains strong for the next few years, particularly in Korea, Japan, and Hong Kong. Carriers in India are buying more optical equipment as well, starting this year, and will continue ramping up spending over the next few years,” said Michael Howard, principal analyst at Infonetics Research.
Other report highlights:
- Perennial optical network hardware market leaders Alcatel-Lucent and Huawei each posted double-digit increases in worldwide optical network hardware revenue in 2Q08
- ZTE posted a huge triple-digit increase in worldwide optical network hardware revenue in 2Q08, eking past Nortel and Nokia Siemens for the #3 spot
- Packet optical transport system (POTS) hardware sales are a growing portion of the optical network hardware market, making up 11% of worldwide sales now, 17% by 2011
- ROADM gear will become commonplace in metro optical systems; WDM ROADM hardware makes up 39% of worldwide WDM revenue in 2Q08, and will grow in double digits through at least 2011
- Asia Pacific’s share of worldwide optical network hardware revenue jumped 5 points in 2Q08 to 23%, while North America’s share declined 5 points to 32%
Infonetics’ report provides market share, market size, and forecasts for metro and long haul optical equipment, including SONET/SDH (transport, MSPPs and crossconnects), WDM (DWDM transport, CWDM transport, and ROADM), and POTS. Forecasts and regional market share are updated quarterly and cover all regions.
The report tracks ADTRAN, ADVA Optical, Alcatel-Lucent, Ciena, Cisco, Corrigent, ECI, Ericsson, Fujitsu, Huawei, Infinera, NEC, Nokia Siemens Networks, Nortel, OpVista, Sycamore, Tellabs, Transmode, Turin, ZTE, Xtera/Meriton, and others.
Download report highlights from our online portal by logging in above. For sales, contact Larry Howard, vice president, at firstname.lastname@example.org or +1 (408) 583-3335.
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete more effectively.
# # #