Boston, MASSACHUSETTS, October 6, 2011—Market research firm Infonetics Research today released excerpts from its latest ROADM Components report, which tracks the Reconfigurable Optical Add/Drop Multiplexer optical network equipment market and the wavelength selective switch (WSS) components within it, measured by spacing technology and degree-count.
"In a classic end to a period of component capacity constraints, the ROADM WSS market experienced a short-term shock in the form of a pull-back in the first half of 2011. This anomaly aside, the global WSS component market is poised for strong, sustained growth on an annual basis based on rapid adoption of ROADM-based WDM networking by service providers," notes Andrew Schmitt, directing analyst for optical at Infonetics Research.
ROADM WSS COMPONENT MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- Following a 123% revenue jump in 2010 over 2009, and a 39% hike in the second half of 2010 compared to the first half, the ROADM WSS component market contracted by about 8% in the first half of 2011
- The market contraction caused a big shift in vendor market share, as some vendors were more affected by the pull-back than others, with JDSU seizing the lead by a significant margin -- a dramatic shift from 2010, when JDSU and Finisar were neck and neck
- Year-over-year, comparing the first half of 2011 to the first half of 2010, the ROADM WSS component market posted solid double-digit revenue increases and will continue its secular boom
- Infonetics Research forecasts the ROADM WSS component market to grow to $710 million worldwide by 2015
- Unit shipments of ROADM WSS components are expected to grow at a 26% compound annual growth rate (CAGR), outstripping revenue growth due to price reductions and a later shift in the mix to smaller 1x4 WSS sizes as ROADMs are deployed further toward the edges of networks
Infonetics' biannual ROADM Components report provides market size, vendor market share, forecasts, and in-depth analysis on WSS components (revenue and units), with added historical and current ROADM optical equipment market size and share for a big-picture view of the market. The report provides WSS component pricing trends, supplier size, ASP forecast, deployment models, and market drivers and trends. ROADM WSS components are tracked in 4 discrete categories: 1) 1x4 or fewer add/drop ports, 100GHz; 2) 1x4 or fewer add/drop ports, 50GHz; 3) 1x5 or more add/drop ports, 100GHz; and 4) 1x5 or more add/drop ports, 50GHz.
WSS component manufacturers tracked: Capella, CoAdna, Finisar, JDSU, Neophotonics, Nistica, Oclaro/Xtellus, and others.
ROADM optical equipment market share is included for ADVA, Alcatel-Lucent, Ciena (Nortel), Cisco, ECI, Ericsson, Fujitsu, Huawei, Infinera, NEC, Nokia Siemens, Tellabs, Transmode, and others.
- Larry Howard, VP (West NA, APAC, CALA): firstname.lastname@example.org, +1 408-583-3335
- Scott Coyne, Sr. Account Dir. (East NA, Texas, Midwest): email@example.com, +1 408-583-3395
- George Stojsavljevic, Sr. Account Dir. (EMEA): firstname.lastname@example.org, +44 755-488-1623
- Takashi Kimura, TAK Analytics, Sales (Japan): email@example.com, +81 3-6408-5566
Download report prospectuses, tables of contents, etc. from Infonetics' online portal at http://www.infonetics.com/login (see OPTICAL for 2011 and new 2012 services).
UPCOMING OPTICAL RESEARCH
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete more effectively.
Follow Infonetics on Twitter for the latest headlines: http://twitter.com/infonetics.
# # #