London, UK, June 16, 2011—Technology market research firm Infonetics Research today released excerpts from its first quarter (1Q11) 2G/3G/4G Femtocell Equipment market share, size, and forecast report, which tracks femtocells for GSM/GPRS, CDMA, W-CDMA/HSPA, TD-SCDMA, and CDMA2000/EV-DO networks, and forecasts the market for 4G femtocells based on LTE.
“At this early stage of femtocell market development, Samsung and Cisco/ip.access are neck-and-neck at the top of the femtocell revenue market share leaderboard, with Samsung edging ahead overall by a very slim margin due to its higher-priced CDMA2000 femtocells and contract with Verizon Wireless, while the combined Cisco/ip.access 3G femtocell solution leads the 3G segment based on its selection for the AT&T deployment in North America, currently the largest in the world. Other notable vendor successes: Alcatel-Lucent, which has gained traction through its engagement with Vodafone, a prolific purveyor of femtocell services across its properties; the NEC/Ubiquisys solution, which has had wins with SFR, Network Norway and MegaFon amongst others; and Airvana, which has been selected by Sprint and KDDi. The femtocell vendor scene is highly dynamic, buoyed by product innovation, customer trials and wins, and the scaling up of shipments. There is still everything to play for,” notes Richard Webb, directing analyst for WiMAX, microwave, mobile devices at Infonetics Research.
FEMTOCELL EQUIPMENT MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- Total global revenue from femtocells used in consumer, enterprise, rural and public spaces grew 45% during the past 4 quarters (from 1Q10 to 1Q11)
- Sequentially, worldwide femtocell units sold increased 3% while revenue decreased 3% in 1Q11 from 4Q10, as the market strives toward sub-$100 unit pricing and prices continue to erode
- China Unicom, CSL, Network Norway, Optimus, and SFR all launched commercial femtocell services in 2010, but the majority of 3G operators are still either trialing femtocells or postponing commercial femtocell launches until later in 2011
- Infonetics expects the global femtocell market to grow 31% in 2011 over 2010 to $300 million; the market will not gain mass-scale traction until at least 2012
Infonetics' quarterly 2G/3G/4G Femtocell Equipment report provides worldwide and regional market size, vendor market share, forecasts, and analysis for revenue, units, and ARPU of 2G femtocells (CDMA and GSM/GPRS) and 3G femtocells (W-CDMA/HSPA and CDMA2000/EV-DO), as well as forecasts for 4G femtocells (LTE femtocells). Market drivers, customer wins, and service provider deployments by targeted segment (consumer, enterprise, public space, rural, etc.) are included. Companies tracked include 2Wire, Airvana, Airwalk, Alcatel-Lucent, Cisco/ip.access (3G femtocells), Ericsson, Hay Systems, Huawei, ip.access (2G femtocells), Juni, Motorola, NEC, NETGEAR, Nokia Siemens Networks, RadioFrame, Samsung, SerComm, Thomson, Ubiquisys, ZTE, and others.
- Larry Howard, VP (West NA, APAC, CALA): email@example.com, +1 (408) 583-3335
- Scott Coyne, Sr. Account Dir. (East NA, Texas, Midwest): firstname.lastname@example.org, +1 (408) 583-3395
- George Stojsavljevic, Sr. Account Dir. (EMEA): email@example.com, +44-755-488-1623
RELATED FEMTOCELL CRS NOTES
Analysts Richard Webb and Stéphane Téral author service provider surveys and research notes throughout the year as part of Infonetics' FMC and Femtocell Continuous Research Service (CRS), including:
UPCOMING FEMTOCELL AND FMC RESEARCH
To download report prospectuses, tables of contents, etc., log in to Infonetics' portal (http://www.infonetics.com/login) and go to RESEARCH, then FMC AND FEMTOCELL.
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete more effectively.
Follow Infonetics on Twitter for the latest headlines: http://twitter.com/infonetics.
# # #