Campbell, CALIFORNIA, Sept. 15, 2011—Market research firm Infonetics Research today released excerpts from its second quarter 2011 (2Q11) 2G/3G/4G (LTE and WiMAX) Infrastructure and Subscribers report, which takes a comprehensive look at the mobile and wireless equipment markets, including vendor market share, forecasts, and LTE and WIMAX deployments.
"Although LTE and 4G continue to make the headlines, GSM was definitely the 2Q11 reality, with massive capacity upgrades in China and India. In addition, 2G and 3G network modernization with multi-standard base transceiver stations (BTS) continues to be strong and will remain the main theme throughout the second half of 2011," expects Stéphane Téral, principal analyst for mobile infrastructure at Infonetics Research.
Richard Webb, directing analyst for microwave and small cells at Infonetics Research and co-author of the report, adds: "WiMAX continues its solid performance, finding growth from network expansions plus new niches in utility networks. Despite now being overtaken by LTE, as had been expected, UQ's investment in 802.16m shows there is an alternative 4G roadmap."
2G, 3G, 4G MOBILE INFRASTRUCTURE MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- The overall 2G, 3G, 4G infrastructure market continues to evolve on strong footing led by GSM, W-CDMA, and unabated WiMAX and LTE deployments, with equipment spending up 25.2% year-over year (2Q10 to 2Q11) and up 4.5% sequentially in 2Q11
- A cumulative total of nearly $250 billion is forecast to be spent on mobile infrastructure during the 5 years 2011 to 2015
- In the 4G segment, LTE (Long Term Evolution) equipment spending passed WiMAX for the first time in 2Q11, with the global LTE market at about $0.6 billion and WiMAX at $0.5 billion
- Combined, LTE and WiMAX equipment spending is forecast by Infonetics to grow at a 46% 5-year compound annual growth rate (CAGR) from 2010 to 2015
- In 2Q11, Alcatel-Lucent and Ericsson remain in a tight race in the fast-growing LTE equipment segment, with ALU edging ahead of Ericsson by a fraction in global revenue
Infonetics' quarterly 2G/3G/4G (LTE and WiMAX) Infrastructure and Subscribers report provides worldwide and regional market size, vendor market share, analysis, and forecasts through 2015 for LTE, WiMAX, and 2G and 3G mobile network equipment and subscribers. The report includes a fixed and mobile WiMAX Network Deployment Tracker and an LTE Deployment Tracker. Vendors tracked: Acme Packet, Airspan, Alcatel-Lucent, Alvarion, Aperto, Aviat, Cisco, Datang Mobile, Ericsson, Fujitsu, GENBAND, HP, Huawei, Motorola, NEC, Nokia Siemens, Proxim, Redline, Samsung, Tellabs, UTStarcom, ZTE, and many others.
- Larry Howard, VP (West NA, APAC, CALA): email@example.com, +1 408-583-3335
- Scott Coyne, Sr. Account Dir. (East NA, Texas, Midwest): firstname.lastname@example.org, +1 408-583-3395
- George Stojsavljevic, Sr. Account Dir. (EMEA): email@example.com, +44 755-488-1623
- Takashi Kimura, TAK Analytics, Sales (Japan): firstname.lastname@example.org, +81 3-6408-5566
RECENT AND UPCOMING MOBILE AND WIRELESS RESEARCH
Download report prospectuses, tables of contents, highlights, etc., at http://www.infonetics.com/login (see MOBILE AND WIRELESS).
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete more effectively.
Follow Infonetics on Twitter for the latest headlines: http://twitter.com/infonetics.
# # #