Boston, MASSACHUSETTS, August 11, 2011—Market research firm Infonetics Research today
released its second quarter 2011 (2Q11) Optical Network Hardware vendor market share report.
"Our expectations for single-digit market growth this year remain in reach. If global optical network equipment spending in the second half of 2011 is flat with the first half, total spending for 2011 will be up 6.5%," foresees Andrew Schmitt, directing analyst for optical at Infonetics Research. “The strength of the optical market in the EMEA region needs to be qualified: 5% of the gains are due to currency effects, and all of the growth came from ZTE and Huawei.”
OPTICAL HARDWARE MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- The global optical network equipment market, including WDM and SDH/SONET equipment, jumped 13% in 2Q11, following an 11% decrease in 1Q11
- Optical equipment spending is up year-over-year in all regions and rolling 12-month trends
- Year-over-year, from the second quarter of 2010 to the second quarter of 2011, WDM optical network equipment spending is up 37% and the overall optical market is up 21%
- ROADM equipment spending set another new high in 2Q11, rising 9% sequentially; for the first 6 months of 2011, ROADM equipment shipments are up a stunning 55% over the comparable period in 2010
- ZTE and Huawei reported very strong results in both Asia Pacific and EMEA (removing the contribution of these vendors to EMEA would result in a sequential decline in the region)
- North America posted modest quarter-over-quarter gains with good performances by Fujitsu and Tellabs
- Japan posted results in 2Q11 that were better than in 2Q10
Infonetics' quarterly Optical Network Hardware report tracks Adtran, ADVA, Alcatel-Lucent, BTI, Ciena, Cisco, ECI, Ericsson, Fujitsu, Huawei, Infinera, NEC, Nokia Siemens Networks, Nortel, Sycamore, Tellabs, Transmode, Tyco, ZTE, and others. The report provides worldwide and regional vendor market share, market size, and analysis (forecasts published August 24). Equipment tracked: metro and long haul optical network equipment, including SONET/SDH (ADMs/terminals, metro MSPPs, crossconnects), WDM (transport, ROADM, long haul submarine line terminating equipment), and packet-optical transport systems (P-OTS). Also tracked: number of ports and revenue per port by speed (Ethernet, SONET/SDH/POS, WDM) from below OC48/STM1 to 100G. Regions: Asia Pacific (breakouts for China, Japan, India), CALA (Central America/Latin America), EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Africa), North America, and worldwide.
CLIENT CONFERENCE CALL
Clients: Join analyst Andrew Schmitt for his 2Q11 Optical Network Hardware market telebriefing on Thursday, August 25, 12:00 p.m. Eastern: http://www.infonetics.com/cgp/login.asp?id=465.
- Larry Howard, VP (West NA, APAC, CALA): email@example.com, +1 408-583-3335
- Scott Coyne, Sr. Account Dir. (East NA, Texas, Midwest): firstname.lastname@example.org, +1 408-583-3395
- George Stojsavljevic, Sr. Account Dir. (EMEA): email@example.com, +44 755-488-1623
To download report prospectuses, tables of contents, highlights, etc., log in to http://www.infonetics.com/login and see OPTICAL.
RELATED/UPCOMING OPTICAL RESEARCH
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete more effectively.
Follow Infonetics on Twitter for the latest headlines: http://twitter.com/infonetics.
# # #