Campbell, CALIFORNIA, April 7, 2011—Market research firm Infonetics Research in March released its fourth quarter (4Q10) Broadband CPE and Subscribers: PON, FTTH, Cable, and DSL market forecast report, which tracks DSL, cable broadband, FTTH, and voice customer-premise equipment; residential gateways; and broadband subscribers.
The broadband CPE market is much more dynamic now, with FTTH CPE coming on strong in many regions of the world, particularly Japan, China, and North America, where new FTTH broadband subscribers are being added at a fast clip. We expect this trend to continue, with DSL subscribers and equipment slowing as FTTH rises,” foresees Jeff Heynen, directing analyst for broadband access at Infonetics Research.
BROADBAND CPE MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- The worldwide broadband CPE market, including DSL, cable, and FTTH equipment, hit $5.2 billion in 2010, and is forecast to top $6.0 billion in 2015
- For the quarter, the broadband CPE market was more or less flat in 4Q10 at $1.4 billion, following 2 consecutive quarters of growth of about 10%; unit shipments were up 5%
- The number of broadband FTTH subscribers grew 30% in 2010 to 40 million worldwide
- Bright spots in the DSL CPE market: VDSL gateways and IADs, which saw the biggest increase in 2010, as AT&T, Belgacom, KPN, and other operators invested in higher-end devices for their triple-play service offerings
- Bright spot in the broadband cable CPE market: Wideband (DOCSIS 3.0) EMTAs, as Comcast and other major MSOs are now taking consistent shipments to turn up new premium subscribers; wideband EMTA unit shipments jumped 342% in 2010 and more than doubled quarter-over-quarter in 4Q10
- Leadership in the worldwide broadband CPE market is an extremely tight 3-way horse race, with Huawei ranked first by a slim margin in 4Q10, closely followed by Technicolor and Pace
- Despite its lower-priced broadband equipment, Huawei has taken the lead in overall revenue mainly because of the very large volume it ships into China, the Middle East, and Latin America
BROADBAND EQUIPMENT REPORT SYNOPSIS
Infonetics' quarterly broadband CPE report provides worldwide and regional market size, vendor market share, analysis, and forecasts through 2015 for DSL CPE (ADSL, VDSL modems and gateways; ADSL IADs and VDSL IADs); standard and wideband cable CPE (modems, gateways, and EMTAs); FTTH ONTs and gateways (1.25G/2.5G EPON ONT and 2.5G GPON ONT gateways), residential gateways (broadband and multiservice); and voice CPE. The report also tracks standard and wideband cable subscribers, DSL subscribers, PON subscribers, PON FTTH subscribers, Ethernet FTTH subscribers, and FTTB + LAN subscribers. PON and Ethernet FTTH port counts and analysis are also included.
Companies tracked include Alcatel-Lucent, ARRIS, AVM, Cisco (Linksys, Scientific Atlanta), Comtrend, D-Link, Gemtek, Huawei, Motorola, NETGEAR, Pace, Sagemcom, SMC, Sphairon, Sumitomo, Telsey, Technicolor (Thomson), Ubee Interactive, Westell, Xavi Technologies, Zhone, ZTE, ZyXEL, and others.
To download the prospectuses, tables of contents, etc. for related and upcoming research (below), please log in to Infonetics' service portal (http://www.infonetics.com/login) and go to RESEARCH, then BROADBAND ACCESS.
BROADBAND RESEARCH AVAILABLE NOW
UPCOMING BROADBAND MARKET FORECASTS AND SURVEYS
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete more effectively.
Follow Infonetics on Twitter for the latest headlines: http://twitter.com/infonetics.
# # #