BOSTON, Massachusetts, March 22, 2011—Market research firm Infonetics Research (http://twitter.com/infonetics) recently released 2 data center reports: Data Center Network Equipment market share and forecasts, and Data Center Deployment Strategies: North American Enterprise Survey, findings from which follow.
“2010 was a strong year for data center network equipment sales, due to a rebound from bare-bones 2009 spending levels and, more importantly, fundamental trends favoring investments in the data center, such as the explosion of content and traffic, use of virtualization, and increasingly, cloud-based services and architectures. For 2011, we expect tempering but still robust growth in sales, and the biggest opportunities for vendors is in helping companies grow their data center infrastructure sustainably, such as through the use of products that dramatically increase price-to-performance or improve management in highly virtualized environments,” advises Matthias Machowinski, Infonetics Research's directing analyst for enterprise networks and video.
DATA CENTER NETWORK EQUIPMENT MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- In 2010, the worldwide data center network equipment market -- data center Ethernet switches, application delivery controllers (ADCs), WAN optimization appliances – jumped more than 50% over 2009, to almost $8 billion
- Data center switches, by far the largest segment, are transitioning from general-purpose to purpose-built equipment, as evinced by a near-doubling in purpose-built equipment revenue quarter-over-quarter
- Cisco leads the data center Ethernet switching market by far, with over 80% market share
- ADC market leader F5 maintains its strong #1 position, although revenue share declined as rival Cisco turned the corner
- The WAN optimization market is a 3-horse race between Blue Coat, Cisco, and Riverbed
ENTERPRISE DATA CENTER SURVEY HIGHLIGHTS
- North American enterprises plan to increase their data center infrastructure spending by an average of 25% in 2011
- Cloud technologies will play a major role in this expansion, and are among the top 3 expected data centers changes
- Interest in 100 Gigabit Ethernet (GE) equals or exceeds interest in 40GE, despite the lack of available products
- Fiber Channel is the most used SAN technology, but respondents show strong interest in next generation FCoE (Fiber Channel over Ethernet) to streamline their data center networks
DATA CENTER NETWORK EQUIPMENT REPORT SYNOPSIS
Infonetics' quarterly Data Center Network Equipment report provides worldwide and regional market size, market share, forecasts, and in-depth analysis for data center Ethernet switches (general purpose, purpose-built, and blade switches), application delivery controllers (ADCs), and WAN optimization appliances. Companies tracked include ADTRAN, Alcatel-Lucent, Arista, Avaya, Blade, Blue Coat, Brocade, Cisco, Citrix, Enterasys, Expand, Extreme, F5, Force10, H3C, HP, Huawei, Ipanema, Juniper, NETGEAR, Radware, Riverbed, Silver Peak, and others.
DATA CENTER DEPLOYMENT STRATEGIES SURVEY SYNOPSIS
For its Data Center Deployment Strategies survey, published in February 2011, Infonetics asked data center purchase decision-makers at 115 North American companies with 100 or more employees about their data center plans over the next 2 years. Survey respondents were asked to rate drivers for data center investments, technologies, applications, equipment and software, as well as their use of, plans for, and preferred features for data center technologies, including security, virtualization, storage, cloud-based services, servers, Ethernet switches, and more. The report includes responses to 2 open-ended questions about use and plans for cloud-based services and the top 3 major changes they plan to make to their data centers.
RELATED RESEARCH HIGHLIGHTS
To download the prospectuses, tables of contents, etc. for related and upcoming research (below), please log in to Infonetics' service portal (http://www.infonetics.com/login) and go to ENTERPRISE NETWORKING or DATA CENTER NETWORKS.
RELATED RESEARCH AVAILABLE NOW
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete more effectively.
Follow Infonetics on Twitter for the latest headlines: http://twitter.com/infonetics.
# # #