Campbell, CALIFORNIA, May 31, 2012—The global 2G, 3G, and 4G equipment market decreased 14% to just under $10 billion in the first quarter of 2012 (1Q12) following an 8% increase the previous quarter, reports market research firm Infonetics Research in its 2G, 3G, 4G (LTE and WiMAX) Infrastructure and Subscribers market share and forecast report.
“The overall mobile infrastructure market took a beating in the first quarter of 2012,” notes Stéphane Téral, principal analyst for mobile infrastructure and carrier economics at Infonetics Research. “We saw weak 2G and 3G activity across the board, exacerbated by China Mobile’s dramatic GSM pause on the heels of extraordinary shipment levels in the previous quarter. LTE and WIMAX equipment revenue also declined sequentially. Nonetheless, LTE spending is up 128% from the year-ago first quarter, and the number of mobile operators committing to LTE continues to increase rapidly. Infonetics forecasts the LTE equipment market to grow to $17.5 billion in 2016.”
2G, 3G, 4G MOBILE INFRASTRUCTURE MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- From the year-ago first quarter, the overall 2G, 3G, and 4G infrastructure market, including LTE and WiMAX equipment, is down 8%
- One bright spot of the quarter is 3G mobile packet core network equipment (GGSNs, SGSNs, PDSNs), up 4% sequentially and up 5% from 1Q11, reflecting ongoing 3G expansion activity tied to 2G modernization
- 319 mobile operators have committed to LTE as of early May 2012, up from 285 the previous quarter, and 72 LTE operators have launched commercial services in 37 countries, according to the Global Mobile Suppliers Association (GSA)
- In 1Q12, Ericsson and Alcatel-Lucent are once again neck and neck in the race for global LTE revenue leadership, followed by Huawei
- Infonetics expects a spike in TD-SCDMA equipment spending this year due to China Mobile’s expanding TD-LTE trials aimed at helping it move quickly to 4G
Infonetics’ quarterly 2G, 3G, 4G (LTE and WiMAX) Infrastructure and Subscribers report provides worldwide and regional market size, vendor market share, analysis, and forecasts for LTE, WiMAX, and 2G/3G mobile network equipment and subscribers. The comprehensive report tracks more than 50 sub-segments of the market, from radio access network (RAN), base transceiver stations (BTS) and mobile softswitching to packet core equipment, E-UTRAN macrocells and all flavors of WiMAX. The report features detailed LTE deployment, WiMAX deployment, and spectrum auction trackers. Vendors tracked: Acme Packet, Airspan, Alcatel-Lucent, Alvarion, Aperto, Aviat, Cisco, Datang Mobile, Ericsson, Fujitsu, GENBAND, HP, Huawei, Motorola, NEC, NewNet, Nortel, Nokia Siemens, Proxim, Redline, Samsung, Starent Networks, Tellabs, UTStarcom, ZTE, and many others.
To buy the report, contact Infonetics Sales: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.
Download Infonetics report highlights, prospectuses, etc. at http://www.infonetics.com/login (see MOBILE AND WIRELESS or SMALL CELLS AND CARRIER WIFI), or download the Infonetics 2012 Research Publication Calendar at http://bit.ly/zwjcRs.
TO BUY REPORTS, CONTACT SALES:
- N. America (West), Asia, Latin America: Larry Howard, email@example.com, +1-408-583-3335
- N. America (East), Texas, Midwest: Scott Coyne, firstname.lastname@example.org, +1-408-583-3395
- Europe, Middle East, Africa: George Stojsavljevic, email@example.com, +44-755-488-1623
- Japan, South Korea, China, Taiwan: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete more effectively.
Follow Infonetics on Twitter for the latest headlines: http://twitter.com/infonetics.
# # #