Campbell, CALIFORNIA, June 6, 2012—Market research firm Infonetics Research today released vendor market share standings and market forecasts from 2 first quarter (1Q12) security market reports: Content Security Gateway Appliances, Software, and SaaS and Network Security Appliances and Software.
"The network and content security product markets were sluggish across the globe in the first quarter of the year, as usual, with one exception: North American content security spending ticked up a bit," says Jeff Wilson, principal analyst for security at Infonetics Research. "For the rest of the year, we expect moderate growth in both network and content security product sales as major vendors manage a transition from selling products to selling products and hosted services, and as customers continue to sort out their long-term strategies that blend hardware, software, and hosted services. Meanwhile, the never-ending barrage of high-profile threats (Flame malware most recently) continue to keep security top-of-mind and top-of-budget for end-users."
CONTENT SECURITY MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- It was a typically weak first quarter for the content security market, with appliance and software revenue down 2.9% between 4Q11 and 1Q12, hitting $733.7 million
- Infonetics expects content security revenue to grow to $3.7 billion by 2016
- For 1Q12 total content security gateway revenue market share (appliances and software), McAfee ranks first, and the next four leading vendors—Symantec, Cisco, Blue Coat, and Websense—are within one market share point of each other
- Most major content security vendors’ revenue is forecast by Infonetics to be up in the single digits from 1Q12 to 2Q12, with potential for double-digit growth for two to three vendors
Infonetics’ quarterly Content Security Gateway Appliances, Software, and SaaS report provides worldwide and regional market share, market size, forecasts, and analysis of content security gateways, including messaging, Web/malware and integrated appliances, and messaging and web/malware software and SaaS. Vendors tracked include Barracuda, Blue Coat, Cisco Systems, Citrix, McAfee, SonicWALL, Symantec, Trend Micro, Websense, and others. To buy the report, contact Infonetics Sales: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.
NETWORK SECURITY MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- It was also a weak first quarter for the network security appliance and software market; revenue was down 6.7% in 1Q12 compared with 4Q11, and SSL VPN and IPS were unusually soft
- Cisco remains the leading vendor overall in network security appliances and software, with about a third of global revenue in 1Q12, followed by Check Point and Juniper
- Infonetics expects most network security vendors to be up 5% to 15% in 2Q12
- The proliferation of smartphones, tablets, and other connected mobile devices will continue to drive companies to reassess how to protect their critical infrastructure from malware
Infonetics’ quarterly Network Security Appliances and Software report provides worldwide and regional market share, market size, forecasts, and analysis of integrated security appliances by price, secure routers by price, SSL VPN gateways, VPN and firewall software, and in-line and traditional network-based intrusion detection and prevention (IDS/IPS) products. Vendors tracked include AEP, Alcatel-Lucent, Array Networks, Avaya, CA, Celestix, Check Point, Cisco Systems, Citrix, D-Link, Enterasys, eSoft, F5, Fortinet, GTA, HP, Intrusion, ISS, Juniper, McAfee, NetASQ, Palo Alto Networks, SonicWALL, Sourcefire, Stonesoft, Symantec, Top Layer, WatchGuard, ZyXEL, and others. To buy the report, contact Infonetics Sales: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.
RELATED SECURITY RESEARCH
UPCOMING SECURITY MARKET SHARE / FORECAST REPORTS
See SECURITY at http://www.infonetics.com/login for report highlights, tables of contents, etc., or download Infonetics’ 2012 Research Publication Calendar: http://bit.ly/zwjcRs.
UPCOMING ENTERPRISE SECURITY SURVEYS
UPCOMING LEADERSHIP SCORECARDS
TO BUY REPORTS, CONTACT SALES:
- N. America (West), Asia, Latin America: Larry Howard, firstname.lastname@example.org, +1-408-583-3335
- N. America (East), Texas, Midwest: Scott Coyne, email@example.com, +1-408-583-3395
- Europe, Middle East, Africa: George Stojsavljevic, firstname.lastname@example.org, +44-755-488-1623
- Japan, South Korea, China, Taiwan: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete more effectively.
Follow Infonetics on Twitter for the latest headlines: http://twitter.com/infonetics.
# # #