Campbell, CALIFORNIA, May 24, 2012—The global service provider router and switch market, which includes IP edge routers, IP core routers, and carrier Ethernet switches (CES), sequentially decreased 14% to $3.3 billion in the first quarter of 2012 (1Q12), reports market research firm Infonetics Research in its latest Service Provider Routers and Switches report. From the year-ago first quarter, the market is essentially flat, down just 1%.
"The best way to look at the carrier router and switch market is to analyze the 'IP Edge,' the sum of edge routers and carrier Ethernet switches, since routers can switch and switches can route, and many are deployed both ways," notes Michael Howard, Infonetics Research’s co-founder and principal analyst for carrier networks. "Cisco, Alcatel-Lucent, and Juniper all gained IP Edge market share in the first quarter, Cisco the most by far, increasing its share from about 31% to about 39% quarter-over-quarter."
Howard adds: "Cisco is showing signs of a regained focus, and with the biggest installed base of routers at both operators and enterprises, they have an advantage that is hard to compete with."
SERVICE PROVIDER ROUTER AND SWITCH MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- While the global service provider router and switch market declined in 1Q12, the North American market was up a very healthy 27% quarter-over-quarter and up 9% from the year-ago first quarter
- The US has been showing many economic growth signals
- In 1Q12, Cisco, Juniper, and Huawei together took 96% of global core router revenue
- However, Alcatel-Lucent just entered the core router market, which will shake up the vendor market share landscape once revenue from ALU’s new core router materializes later this year
- Service provider routers and switches are the second largest telecom market segment in 2011 total revenue (~$14.5 billion) after mobile RAN spending ($30+ billion)
Infonetics’ quarterly Service Provider Routers and Switches report tracks Alaxala, Alcatel-Lucent, Brocade, Ciena, Cisco, Ericsson, Extreme, Force10, Fujitsu, Hitachi Cable, Huawei, Juniper, NEC, Nokia Siemens, Orckit-Corrigent, Tellabs, ZTE, and others. The report provides worldwide and regional market share, market size, and analysis for IP edge routers, IP core routers, and CES. The report tracks IP Edge by application, including multiservice edge (MSE), broadband remote access server (BRAS), Ethernet access transport (EAT), and Ethernet service edge (MSE). Contact Infonetics' Sales to buy report.
CLIENT CONFERENCE CALL
Michael Howard’s Client Conference Call with highlights from this report is June 5, 8 a.m. PT.
See CARRIER ROUTING, SWITCHING, AND ETHERNET at http://www.infonetics.com/login for report highlights, tables of contents, etc.
TO BUY REPORTS, CONTACT SALES:
- N. America (West), Asia, Latin America: Larry Howard, firstname.lastname@example.org, +1-408-583-3335
- N. America (East), Texas, Midwest: Scott Coyne, email@example.com, +1-408-583-3395
- Europe, Middle East, Africa: George Stojsavljevic, firstname.lastname@example.org, +44-755-488-1623
- Japan, South Korea, China, Taiwan: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete more effectively.
Follow Infonetics on Twitter for the latest headlines: http://twitter.com/infonetics.
# # #