Boston, MASSACHUSETTS, June 27, 2012—Market research firm Infonetics Research today released excerpts from its latest OTN and Packet Optical Hardware report, which sizes and forecasts the market for optical transport network (OTN) transport equipment, OTN switching equipment, and packet-optical transport systems (P-OTS), including vendor market share.
Infonetics also released a new OTN white paper today, Integrated OTN Switching Virtualizes Optical Networks, which outlines the economic and operational benefits of converging OTN switching and WDM transport functionality into a single architecture. Download the white paper here: http://bit.ly/LboNIO.
“OTN is on the fast track to outpacing the overall optical market within the next 5 years,” notes Andrew Schmitt, principal analyst for optical at Infonetics Research. “Nearly half of all 2011 optical equipment spending worldwide was on OTN transport and switching hardware, and by 2016 we expect this to rise to almost 80%, with the burgeoning OTN switching segment growing the fastest. Carriers large and small looking to build efficient transport networks are increasingly turning to OTN switching. China’s telecom carriers are leading the way and are issuing substantial RFPs for OTN switching in the core this year.”
OTN AND P-OTS MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- The OTN transport and switching market is forecast by Infonetics to grow at a 17% CAGR from 2011 to 2016, outpacing the 5.5% CAGR of the overall optical equipment market (WDM, SONET/SDH)
- Around 80% of all WDM equipment now supports OTN
- Infonetics expects 100G port shipments to overtake 40G shipments by 2014
- Huawei is the #1 OTN transport equipment vendor, followed by Alcatel-Lucent and Ciena
- A cumulative $6.6 billion is expected to be spent on 2nd-generation P-OTS platforms that combine Ethernet and OTN/SDH switching during the 5 years from 2012 to 2016
- A big vendor battle is brewing in the P-OTS space: Cisco, Tellabs, and Alcatel-Lucent are the top 3 vendors, but Fujitsu, Ciena, and Huawei are gaining
OTN REPORT SYNOPSIS
Infonetics’ OTN and Packet Optical Hardware report provides regional and global market size, forecasts, vendor market share, and analysis for OTN transport and switching hardware, including OTN port revenue forecasts by port type and speed, and 1st- and 2nd-generation P-OTS (packet-optical transport systems). Vendors tracked in the report include ADVA, Alcatel-Lucent, Ciena, Cisco, ECI Telecom, Ericsson, Fujitsu, Huawei, Infinera, Nokia Siemens, Tellabs, ZTE, and others. To buy the report, contact Infonetics Sales: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.
INFONETICS IS HIRING
Infonetics is expanding rapidly and is looking to hire more analysts, including a senior Industry Analyst: Mobile and Home Networking Devices; Market Analyst: Enterprise VoIP; Market Research Manager; and more. See http://bit.ly/jmXOYO for job descriptions.
UPCOMING OPTICAL RESEARCH
Download Infonetics report highlights, tables of contents, etc. at http://www.infonetics.com/login (see OPTICAL) or download Infonetics’ Research Publication Calendar at http://bit.ly/zwjcRs.
TO BUY REPORTS, CONTACT SALES:
- N. America (West), Asia, Latin America: Larry Howard, firstname.lastname@example.org, +1-408-583-3335
- N. America (East), Texas, Midwest: Scott Coyne, email@example.com, +1-408-583-3395
- Europe, Middle East, Africa: George Stojsavljevic, firstname.lastname@example.org, +44-755-488-1623
- Japan, South Korea, China, Taiwan: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete more effectively.
Follow Infonetics on Twitter for the latest headlines: http://twitter.com/infonetics.
# # #