Campbell, CALIFORNIA, September 28, 2012—Market research firm Infonetics Research released excerpts from its 2nd quarter (2Q12) Broadband CPE and Subscribers: PON, FTTH, Cable, and DSL market size, market share, and forecast report, which tracks digital subscriber line (DSL), cable, and fiber to the home (FTTH) customer premises equipment (CPE), residential gateways, and broadband subscribers.
“The second quarter is typically a strong one for the broadband CPE market, and it didn’t disappoint,” notes Jeff Heynen, directing analyst for broadband access and pay TV at Infonetics Research. “Revenue was up across the board, with the cable segment fairing particularly well. Wideband (DOCSIS 3.0) revenue rose 22% on the heels of a 15% increase in 1Q12. North American MSOs, and Comcast in particular, are in the process of upgrading their existing subscribers to DOCSIS 3.0, even if they’re not subscribed to a wideband tier. The flexibility of channel bonding, the transition to IPv6, and the ability to upgrade subscribers without having to do expensive truck rolls are all reasons behind the wholesale swap.”
Heynen adds: “ARRIS is the primary beneficiary of these upgrades, increasing revenue by more than a third quarter-over-quarter on the back of strong wideband EMTA sales.”
BROADBAND CPE MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- Global broadband CPE revenue rose sequentially across all product segments in 2Q12, with cable CPE up 8%, DSL CPE up 6%, and FTTH CPE up 1%
- ZTE eked past Huawei to take the #1 spot for broadband CPE revenue market share in 2Q12, buoyed by strong sales of high-end VDSL gateways to European customers including Deutsche Telekom
- ARRIS, Technicolor, and Pace are in a virtual dead heat for 3rd place in the race for broadband CPE revenue market share
- Only 1 percentage point separates Asia Pacific, EMEA (Europe, the Middle East, and Africa), and North America for the broadband CPE revenue share lead in 2Q12
- Infonetics forecasts there will be 112 million FTTH broadband subscribers by 2016, a 23% compound annual growth rate (CAGR) from 2011 to 2016
Infonetics’ quarterly Broadband CPE report provides worldwide and regional market size, market share, forecasts, analysis, and trends for ADSL and VDSL modems, gateways, and IADs; standard and wideband cable modems, gateways, and EMTAs; FTTH ONTs and gateways; residential gateways; PON and Ethernet FTTH ports; and broadband subscribers. Companies tracked include Alcatel-Lucent, ARRIS, AVM, Cisco (Linksys, Scientific Atlanta), Comtrend, D-Link, Dasan Networks, Fiberhome, Huawei, Mitsubishi, Motorola, NETGEAR, Pace, Sagemcom, SMC, Sumitomo, Telsey, Technicolor, TP-LINK, Ubee Interactive, Zhone, ZTE, ZyXEL, and others. To buy the report, contact Infonetics: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.
RECENT AND UPCOMING RESEARCH
Download BROADBAND ACCESS report highlights, tables of contents and prospectuses at http://www.infonetics.com/login or our Research Calendar at http://bit.ly/zwjcRs.
UPCOMING LEADERSHIP SCORECARDS
TO BUY REPORTS, CONTACT SALES:
- N. America (West), Asia, Latin America: Larry Howard, firstname.lastname@example.org, +1-408-583-3335
- N. America (East), Texas, Midwest: Scott Coyne, email@example.com, +1-408-583-3395
- Europe, Middle East, Africa: George Stojsavljevic, firstname.lastname@example.org, +44-755-488-1623
- Japan, South Korea, China, Taiwan: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete more effectively. View Infonetics' brief About Us slides at http://bit.ly/QUrbrV.
Follow Infonetics on Twitter for the latest headlines: http://twitter.com/infonetics.
# # #