Boston, Massachusetts, October 17, 2012—Market research firm Infonetics Research released excerpts from its recent video report, Set-Top Boxes and Subscribers, which tracks IP, cable, satellite, and hybrid set top boxes (STBs) and over-the-top (OTT) media servers.
“Satellite set-top boxes surged in Q2, with global shipments up 20% and revenue up 19% sequentially. The biggest growth is coming from the Asia Pacific region, particularly China, but growth is also strong in Latin America and North America, where DirecTV and Dish Network are seeing sustained subscriber growth and renewed interest in higher-function STBs like Dish’s Hopper,”notes Jeff Heynen, directing analyst for broadband access and pay TV at Infonetics Research.
SET-TOP BOX MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- The global set-top box market, including cable, satellite, IP and hybrid IP/DTT, totaled $3.6 billion in 2Q12, up 4% sequentially
- While revenue was up for satellite set-top boxes in 2Q12, it was down for both IP and cable boxes
- 40% of all STBs shipped in 2Q12 had high-definition (HD) capabilities and 22% had DVR functionality
- Apple TV is the most prominent over-the-top media server platform in North America and, increasingly, the world
- After 2 consecutive quarters of growth, cable STB revenue in North America declined 10%
- Despite a 2% drop in revenue from the previous quarter, Cisco took the worldwide set-top box revenue share lead from perennial #1 Motorola
SET-TOP BOX REPORT SYNOPSIS
Infonetics’ quarterly STB and Subscribers report provides worldwide and regional market share, size, forecasts, analysis, and trends for IP STBs, cable STBs, satellite STBs, hybrid IP/DTT, and OTT media servers, and video subscribers. Companies tracked include: ADB, Amino, Cisco, Coship, Dasan, DVN, Echostar, Huawei, Humax, Jiuzhou, Motorola, Netgem, Pace, Sagemcom, Samsung, Skyworth Digital, Sumitomo, Technicolor, ZTE, and others. To buy the report, contact Infonetics: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.
Download SECURITY report highlights, tables of contents and prospectuses at http://www.infonetics.com/login or our Research Calendar at http://bit.ly/zwjcRs.
Global Service Provider Surveys
Market Share / Market Size / Forecast Reports
TO BUY REPORTS, CONTACT SALES:
- N. America (West), Asia, Latin America: Larry Howard, email@example.com, +1-408-583-3335
- N. America (East), Texas, Midwest: Scott Coyne, firstname.lastname@example.org, +1-408-583-3395
- Europe, Middle East, Africa: George Stojsavljevic, email@example.com, +44-755-488-1623
- Japan, South Korea, China, Taiwan: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete more effectively. View Infonetics' brief About Us slides at http://bit.ly/QUrbrV.
Follow Infonetics on Twitter for the latest headlines: http://twitter.com/infonetics.
# # #