Campbell, CALIFORNIA, May 24, 2012—The global carrier Ethernet equipment market grew 13.4% to $31.7 billion in 2011, following a 43% hike in 2010, reports market research firm Infonetics Research in its latest Carrier Ethernet Equipment market size and forecast report.
“Over the 5 years from 2012 to 2016, operators will spend a cumulative $186 billion worldwide on carrier Ethernet equipment, outpacing overall telecom capex,” expects Michael Howard, principal analyst for carrier networks and co-founder of Infonetics Research. “Every major operator in the world, including BT, Belgacom, Swisscom, Telstra, FT-Orange, Verizon, AT&T, NTT, KDDI, China Mobile, and many others have explicit IP NGN transformation projects going, for which they will use plenty of Ethernet as they gradually replace their legacy SONET/SDH equipment."
CARRIER ETHERNET EQUIPMENT MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- Mobile backhaul continues to be a particular Carrier Ethernet growth area, with IP/Ethernet equipment making up 93% of all mobile backhaul equipment spending in 2011 (see Infonetics mobile backhaul news at http://bit.ly/IlfJm4)
- Infonetics projects carrier Ethernet equipment revenue to grow to a little over $42.4 billion in 2016
- The chief market drivers remain service providers moving to IP packet-based next-generation networks, which depend heavily on IP, MPLS, and Ethernet technologies, as well as growing traffic (particularly video traffic) from consumer, business, and mobile backhaul networks
- Ethernet is a less expensive way to interconnect telecom equipment, whether routers to routers, DSLAMs to routers, or routers to optical gear
- The largest carrier Ethernet equipment segments by carrier spending are IP routers, carrier Ethernet switches (CES), and optical gear
- Ethernet-only microwave is the fastest growing carrier Ethernet market segment based on its use for mobile backhaul
Infonetics’ annual Carrier Ethernet report measures use and penetration of, and investment in, carrier Ethernet products in service provider networks. The report provides worldwide and regional market size, analysis, and forecasts for all carrier Ethernet equipment in service provider networks, including carrier Ethernet switches, IP core routers, IP edge routers, SONET/SDH Ethernet equipment, WDM Ethernet equipment, VDSL, fiber and copper Ethernet access devices, EPON, Ethernet and dual Ethernet/TDM microwave equipment, and carrier Ethernet ports by speed. The report tracks equipment made by Actelis, ADTRAN, ADVA, Alaxala, Alcatel-Lucent, Brocade, Ciena, Cisco, ECI, Ericsson, Extreme, FibroLAN, Fujitsu, Hatteras, Hitachi Cable, Huawei, Infinera, IPITEK, Juniper, MRV, NEC, NexComm, Nokia Siemens, OneAccess, Overture, Positron, RAD Data, Sycamore, Telco Systems/ANDA, Tellabs, Telrad, Transmode, Zhone, ZTE, and others. Contact Infonetics' Sales to buy report.
See CARRIER ROUTING, SWITCHING, AND ETHERNET at http://www.infonetics.com/login for report highlights, tables of contents, etc.
TO BUY REPORTS, CONTACT SALES:
- N. America (West), Asia, Latin America: Larry Howard, firstname.lastname@example.org, +1-408-583-3335
- N. America (East), Texas, Midwest: Scott Coyne, email@example.com, +1-408-583-3395
- Europe, Middle East, Africa: George Stojsavljevic, firstname.lastname@example.org, +44-755-488-1623
- Japan, South Korea, China, Taiwan: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete more effectively.
Follow Infonetics on Twitter for the latest headlines: http://twitter.com/infonetics.
# # #