Campbell, CALIFORNIA, May 24, 2012—Market research firm Infonetics Research today released excerpts from its new Residential Gateway Deployment Strategies: Global Service Provider Survey. The report delves into service providers’ strategies for deploying and pricing residential gateways, the applications driving their deployments, and their top picks for residential gateway vendors, services, technologies, and features.
“With residential gateway revenue dropping because of price declines and a saturated broadband subscriber base, operators are looking to new services to increase revenue per subscriber,” notes Jeff Heynen, directing analyst for broadband access and video at Infonetics Research. “From our recent interviews with operators around the world, it is clear that they see their broadband access lines (be they DSL, cable, or FTTH) as a conduit for new revenue-generating services, far beyond today’s voice, data, and broadcast video services.”
Heynen adds: “The fastest growing new services that operators plan to offer over residential gateways are home automation, home security, and multiscreen video (wireless distribution of video to set-top boxes, PCs, tablets, and mobile phones in the home), but there are many others gaining popularity, including online gaming and video telephony. Residential gateways are a better fit than basic modems for these types of services because they can be remotely managed and provisioned, have an open application layer to add and customize new features, and offer higher throughput and greater security features. In essence, residential gateways are becoming the gatekeeper for new, high-margin, revenue-generating traffic for operators.”
MORE RESIDENTIAL GATEWAY SURVEY HIGHLIGHTS
- The percentage of operators offering IPTV services using a residential gateway increases from 88% now to 100% by 2013
- The number of operators offering WiFi hotspot access using a residential gateway grows to 82% by 2013
- The most critical residential gateway features are those that help operators deliver video and ensure video quality, including IGMP, TR-069 management, and IPv6
- Service providers are reluctant to offer integrated ONTs and residential gateways
- In an open-ended question asking operators who they consider to be the top 3 residential gateway vendors, operators most often named Huawei, Pace, and ZTE
RESIDENTIAL GATEWAY SURVEY SYNOPSIS
For its residential gateways survey, Infonetics interviewed purchase-decision makers at incumbent and competitive telecom operators in North America, EMEA, Latin America, and Asia Pacific that use residential gateways and CPE to offer broadband and multi-play services. The 25-page report includes service provider deployment and pricing strategies, vendors installed and under evaluation, top residential gateway vendors, most important residential gateway features, FTTH service plans, and current and future services, technologies (ADSL/ADSL+, VDSL, EPON, Ethernet, DOCSIS, LTE, WiMAX, etc.), and interfaces (802.11n, Gigabit Ethernet, HomePlug, HPNA, MoCA, Zigbee, Z-Wave, etc.). Vendors named by service providers in response to open-ended questions in the survey include Actiontec, ADB, Alcatel-Lucent, Arris, Calix, Comtrend, Cisco, D-Link, Fiberhome, Huawei, Motorola, Pace, Sagemcom, Technicolor, ZTE, Zyxel and others. To buy report, contact Infonetics sales.
See BROADBAND ACCESS at http://www.infonetics.com/login for report highlights, tables of contents, etc.
- Log in to download Infonetics’ 2012 Research Publication Calendar: http://bit.ly/zwjcRs
- 1G/10G/40G/100G Networking Ports Market Size/Forecasts
- Broadband CPE & Subscribers: PON, FTTH, Cable & DSL Market Share/Forecasts
- CMTS and Edge QAM Hardware and Subscribers Market Share and Forecasts
- GPON Equipment in Brazil, Russia, India, and China (BRIC) Market Share and Forecasts
- Home Networking Devices Market Share and Forecasts
- Next Gen PON, FTTH & VDSL Strategies and Vendor Leadership: Service Provider Survey
- PON, FTTH, and DSL Aggregation Equipment and Subscribers – Full Analysis
- Total Broadband Equipment, CPE, and Subscribers Pivot Market Share and Forecasts
TO BUY REPORTS, CONTACT SALES:
- N. America (West), Asia, Latin America: Larry Howard, firstname.lastname@example.org, +1-408-583-3335
- N. America (East), Texas, Midwest: Scott Coyne, email@example.com, +1-408-583-3395
- Europe, Middle East, Africa: George Stojsavljevic, firstname.lastname@example.org, +44-755-488-1623
- Japan, South Korea, China, Taiwan: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete more effectively.
Follow Infonetics on Twitter for the latest headlines: http://twitter.com/infonetics.
# # #