Boston, MASSACHUSETTS, May 20, 2013—Market research firm Infonetics Research released vendor market share and preliminary analysis from its 1st quarter 2013 (1Q13) Optical Network Hardware report. (Full report will be published May 24.)
“The 4-quarter rolling average for global optical WDM equipment revenue notched a third consecutive quarter of growth in 1Q13, and we believe the market will continue trending in a positive direction this year,” notes Andrew Schmitt, principal analyst for optical at Infonetics Research.
Schmitt adds: “On a year-over-year basis (1Q12 vs. 1Q13), total optical spending is down 5%, but this is only a result of massive cuts in legacy (SONET/SDH) spending over the past 12 months (down 30%). The WDM segment is up 10% year-over year, a welcome sign that spending in this more relevant segment is returning to long-term trend levels. I won’t call it a recovery until WDM revenue is up by double-digit percents for several quarters on a year-over-year basis, but 2013 is looking good, especially in North America and China, where 100G rollouts are picking up speed.”
OPTICAL MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- Worldwide, the overall optical network hardware market, including SONET/SDH and WDM equipment, totaled $2.6 billion in 1Q13
- North America was the only region to post growth in overall optical hardware revenue on a quarterly basis in 1Q13, up 7.5% from 4Q12
- Topping the optical market share leaderboard in 1Q13 are, in alphabetical order, Alcatel-Lucent, Ciena, Fujitsu, Huawei and ZTE
- Ciena is now a larger supplier of WDM gear than Alcatel-Lucent and is 2nd only to Huawei
- Cyan, now publicly traded, grew revenue 86% year-over-year (and is now tracked in Infonetics’ Optical Network Hardware report)
- Nokia-Siemens completed its divestiture of its optical division, now called Coriant (also tracked in Infonetics’ optical report)
OPTICAL CONFERENCE CALL
Clients, join Andrew Schmitt May 30 at 12:30 PM ET for a live optical network hardware market recap and outlook. Log in for password: www.infonetics.com/cgp/login.asp?id=714.
OPTICAL HARDWARE REPORT SYNOPSIS
Infonetics’ quarterly optical hardware report provides worldwide and regional market size, market share, forecasts through 2017, analysis, and trends for metro and long haul SONET/SDH and WDM equipment, Ethernet optical ports, SONET/SDH/POS ports, and WDM ports. Companies tracked: ADVA, Alcatel-Lucent, Ciena, Cisco, Cyan, ECI Telecom, Fujitsu, Huawei, Infinera, NEC, Coriant (Nokia Siemens Networks), Tellabs, Transmode, Tyco Telecom, ZTE, and others. To buy the report, contact Infonetics: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.
Visit https://www.infonetics.com/infonetics-events to attend, view on demand, or sponsor Infonetics webinars. Topics available for sponsorship include 100G, OTN, P-OTS, and ROADMs. See http://www.infonetics.com/downloads/Infonetics-Webinars-Available-for-Sponsorship.pdf.
- 100G Optics: Why Operators Are Upgrading Now (View on demand)
- Leveraging Next-Gen Policy Management Solutions (June 11: Register)
- Integrating SDNs Into the Service Provider Network (June 26: Register)
LATEST OPTICAL RESEARCH
UPCOMING OPTICAL RESEARCH
Download Infonetics' market research brochure, publication calendar, events brochure, report highlights, tables of contents, and more at http://www.infonetics.com/login.
TO BUY REPORTS, CONTACT:
- N. America (West), Asia, Latin America: Larry Howard, email@example.com, +1-408-583-3335
- N. America (East), Texas, Midwest: Scott Coyne, firstname.lastname@example.org, +1-408-583-3395
- Europe, Middle East, Africa: George Stojsavljevic, email@example.com, +44-755-488-1623
- Japan, South Korea, China, Taiwan: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete more effectively. View Infonetics' brief About Us slides at http://bit.ly/QUrbrV.
Follow Infonetics on Twitter for the latest headlines: http://twitter.com/infonetics.
# # #