Boston, MASSACHUSETTS, August 19, 2013—Market research firm Infonetics Research released vendor market share and preliminary analysis from its 2nd quarter 2013 (2Q13) Optical Network Hardware report. (Full report will be published August 23.)
“We expected the optical hardware market to turn, particularly in North America, and that’s exactly what happened in the 2nd quarter. Total optical spending is up 27% quarter-over-quarter, and the WDM equipment segment is up 21% year-over-year,” notes Andrew Schmitt, principal analyst for optical at Infonetics Research.
“WDM spending accelerated dramatically in North America as a result of 100G deployments hitting the ground, and worldwide spending on 100G speeds is tracking close to 15% of all optical spending,” Schmitt adds. “China’s 100G deployments will begin in earnest as the year closes, led by China Mobile, and we’re anticipating more than 5,000 ports of 100G in China alone in 2013.”
2Q13 OPTICAL MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- Globally, the optical network hardware market, including WDM and SONET/SDH equipment, totaled $3.3 billion in 2Q13
- EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Africa) is operating at record low levels of optical capital intensity; positive capex rumbles from tier 1 carriers have yet to translate into more optical spending
- The top 3 optical market share leaders in 2Q13 are, in rank order, Huawei, Alcatel-Lucent and ZTE
- Alcatel-Lucent continues to decline on a year-over-year basis, though optical investment is set to increase in 2013 as part of its SHIFT Plan to double down on optical and routing
- Ciena is well positioned to capture the torrent of 100G spending expected this year from AT&T and Verizon
- Infinera is the fastest-growing supplier of optical WDM gear in Europe
OPTICAL CONFERENCE CALL
Clients, join Andrew Schmitt August 29 at noon ET for a live optical hardware market recap and outlook. Log in for password: www.infonetics.com/cgp/login.asp?id=714.
Join Andrew Schmitt Sept. 17 for The OTN Expansion: The Next Carrier Upgrade Cycle, a live event: http://w.on24.com/r.htm?e=658460&s=1&k=86531EAC4194B7C2D3149D6EA6B3BBD6
ABOUT THE OPTICAL REPORT
Infonetics’ quarterly optical hardware report provides worldwide and regional market size, market share, forecasts through 2017, analysis, and trends for metro and long haul SONET/SDH and WDM equipment, Ethernet optical ports, SONET/SDH/POS ports and WDM ports. Vendors tracked: Adtran, Adva, Alcatel-Lucent, Ciena, Cisco, Cyan, ECI Telecom, Fujitsu, Huawei, Infinera, NEC, Coriant (NSN), Tellabs, Transmode, ZTE and others. To buy the report, contact Infonetics: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.
LATEST OPTICAL RESEARCH
UPCOMING OPTICAL RESEARCH
Download Infonetics' market research brochure, publication calendar, events brochure, report highlights, tables of contents, and more at http://www.infonetics.com/login.
INFONETICS OPTICAL WEBINARS
Visit https://www.infonetics.com/infonetics-events to register for upcoming webinars, view recent webinars on-demand or learn about sponsoring a webinar.
TO BUY REPORTS, CONTACT SALES:
- N. America (West), Asia Pacific: Larry Howard, email@example.com, +1-408-583-3335
- N. America (East), Midwest, L. America: Scott Coyne, firstname.lastname@example.org, +1-408-583-3395
- EMEA, India, Singapore: George Stojsavljevic, email@example.com, +44-755-488-1623
- Japan, South Korea, China, Taiwan: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete more effectively. View Infonetics' brief About Us slides at http://bit.ly/QUrbrV.
Follow Infonetics on Twitter for the latest headlines: http://twitter.com/infonetics.
# # #