Campbell, CALIFORNIA, March 25, 2013—Market research firm Infonetics Research released excerpts from its 4th quarter 2012 (4Q12) and year-end Broadband CPE and Subscribers: PON, FTTH, Cable, and DSL market share and forecast report, which tracks DSL, cable, and fiber to the home (FTTH) customer premises equipment (CPE), residential gateways, and broadband subscribers.
“Broadband CPE enjoyed its strongest year yet in 2012, benefiting from a combination of ongoing technology shifts and the need to support legacy broadband services and subscribers,” notes Jeff Heynen, directing analyst for broadband access and pay TV at Infonetics Research. “Cable operators are gaining significant traction with DOCSIS 3.0 in North America, Europe, Korea, and Japan, and they’re in the early stages of rolling out video gateways that combine DOCSIS CPE with video transcoding capabilities. These gateways allow cable companies to deliver a whole-home, multi-screen service to customers, and we anticipate hearty growth for the devices over the next few years.”
Heynen adds: “WiFi-enabled CPE is really heating up. In 2012, nearly half of all DSL units sold were WiFi enabled, and we’re forecasting this to swell to 74% by 2017. The growth of WiFi-enabled CPE is proof positive that service providers are quickly moving to more integrated devices to control the user experience in the home.”
BROADBAND CPE MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- Despite global broadband CPE revenue declining 3% sequentially in 4Q12, 2012 was a standout year for broadband CPE devices, with revenue increasing 13%, to $7.7 billion
- The strongest growth came from the cable CPE segment, where revenue grew 26% year-over-year
- DSL CPE shipments were down 4% in 2012, though on the bright side, VDSL CPE shipments jumped 39%, reaching 29 million units
- Huawei is the broadband CPE market share leader for 4Q12 and the full year 2012, followed closely by ZTE; both vendors benefitted significantly from the FTTH rollouts at China Telecom and China Unicom
- ARRIS maintains the top revenue share spot in the DOCSIS 3.0 CPE segment, based on strong EMTA shipments to N. American operators; Motorola, Cisco and NETGEAR follow
- In the highly competitive FTTH CPE segment, Infonetics expects ongoing vendor market share shifts in 2013, hinging largely on shipments in China
- Worldwide, there were 57 million FTTH subscribers in 2012, while cable broadband subscribers totaled 111 million
CLIENT CONFERENCE CALL
Clients, join Jeff Heynen March 27 at Noon ET for a live broadband CPE market recap. Log in for password to join the call or view on demand: http://www.infonetics.com/cgp/login.asp?id=680.
Infonetics’ quarterly broadband CPE report provides worldwide and regional market size, vendor market share, forecasts through 2017, analysis, and trends for ADSL and VDSL modems, gateways, and IADs; standard and DOCSIS 3.0 cable modems, gateways, and EMTAs; FTTH ONTs and gateways; residential gateways; PON and Ethernet FTTH ports; and broadband subscribers. Companies tracked: ADB, Alcatel-Lucent, ARRIS, AVM, Cisco (Linksys, Scientific Atlanta), Comtrend, D-Link, Dasan Networks, Fiberhome, Hitron, Huawei, Mitsubishi, Motorola, NETGEAR, OF Networks, Pace, Sagemcom, Samsung, SMC Networks, Sumitomo, Telsey, Technicolor, TP-LINK, Ubee Interactive, Zhone, ZTE, ZyXEL, and others. To buy the report, contact Infonetics: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.
UPCOMING MARKET SHARE / SIZE FORECAST REPORTS AND SURVEYS
Download report highlights, tables of contents and prospectuses at http://www.infonetics.com/login or our Research Calendar at http://bit.ly/zwjcRs.
INFONETICS WEBINARS AVAILABLE FOR SPONSORSHIP
Learn about Infonetics’ events program at https://www.infonetics.com/infonetics-events and http://www.infonetics.com/downloads/Infonetics-Webinars-Available-for-Sponsorship.pdf.
TO BUY REPORTS, CONTACT SALES:
- N. America (West), Asia, Latin America: Larry Howard, firstname.lastname@example.org, +1-408-583-3335
- N. America (East), Texas, Midwest: Scott Coyne, email@example.com, +1-408-583-3395
- Europe, Middle East, Africa: George Stojsavljevic, firstname.lastname@example.org, +44-755-488-1623
- Japan, South Korea, China, Taiwan: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete more effectively. View Infonetics' brief About Us slides at http://bit.ly/QUrbrV.
Follow Infonetics on Twitter for the latest headlines: http://twitter.com/infonetics.
# # #