Campbell, CALIFORNIA, April 8, 2013—Market research firm Infonetics Research released excerpts from its 4th quarter 2012 (4Q12) and year-end Set-Top Boxes and Pay TV Subscribers market share and forecast report, which tracks IP, cable, satellite, and hybrid set-top boxes (STBs) and over-the-top (OTT) media servers.
“Contrary to popular opinion, the set-top box market is alive and well,” says Julien Blin, directing analyst for consumer electronics and mobile broadband at Infonetics Research. “STB revenue grew almost 10% in 2012, a considerable rebound from a year ago, and will remain healthy in the near term as operators in China, India, and Latin America add digital services.”
Blin continues: “Video gateways and media players will be the real standouts moving forward, as North American and European cable and satellite providers transition away from digital STBs. We expect video gateways to grow from just 1% of total cable and satellite STB shipments in 2012 to 16% by 2017, and to see strong double- and triple-digit annual growth in media player shipments every year at least through then.”
SET-TOP BOX MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- The global set-top box (STB) market, including IP, cable, satellite, and DTT STBs, totaled $4.6 billion in 4Q12, up 3% sequentially
- Sales of over-the-top (OTT) media servers spiked 25% in 2012, with much of the growth coming from Apple TV
- Thanks to a 28% bump in revenue, Cisco led all STB vendors for the full year 2012, edging out Motorola and Pace
- Motorola’s sales declined by double digits in 2012, largely a result of new entrants in the North American market, particularly Pace and Samsung
- Infonetics has increased its long-term STB forecast, due to updated shipment guidance from vendors and the addition of cable and satellite video gateway and media player forecasts; Infonetics expects the global STB market to grow to $26 billion in 2017
CLIENT CONFERENCE CALL
Clients, join Julien Blin April 9 at noon ET for a live STB market recap and outlook. Log in for password to join the call or view on demand: http://www.infonetics.com/cgp/login.asp?id=689.
STB REPORT SYNOPSIS
Infonetics’ quarterly STB and pay TV subscribers report provides worldwide and regional market size, vendor market share, forecasts through 2017, and analysis for IP STBs; cable and satellite STBs (digital, hybrid, video gateways, media players); hybrid IP/DTT STBs; and OTT media servers. The report also tracks telco IPTV and cable and satellite video subscribers. Companies tracked: ADB, Changhong, Cisco, Coship, DVN, Echostar, Huawei, Humax, Jiuzhou, Kingvon, Motorola, Netgem, Pace, Sagemcom, Samsung, Skyworth Digital, Technicolor, ZTE, and others. To buy the report, contact Infonetics: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.
Visit https://www.infonetics.com/infonetics-events to learn more or register for Infonetics events.
- Diameter Signaling Control: Managing Mobile Broadband Growth (Apr. 11: Register)
- Securing and Managing Mobile Devices in a BYOD World (May 14: Register)
- The Transcoder Boom in a Multiscreen World (Date TBA: Sponsorships available)
RECENT VIDEO RESEARCH
UPCOMING MARKET SHARE / SIZE FORECAST REPORTS AND SURVEYS
Download report highlights, tables of contents and prospectuses at http://www.infonetics.com/login or our Research Calendar at http://bit.ly/zwjcRs.
TO BUY REPORTS, CONTACT SALES:
- N. America (West), Asia, Latin America: Larry Howard, email@example.com, +1-408-583-3335
- N. America (East), Texas, Midwest: Scott Coyne, firstname.lastname@example.org, +1-408-583-3395
- Europe, Middle East, Africa: George Stojsavljevic, email@example.com, +44-755-488-1623
- Japan, South Korea, China, Taiwan: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete more effectively. View Infonetics' brief About Us slides at http://bit.ly/QUrbrV.
Follow Infonetics on Twitter for the latest headlines: http://twitter.com/infonetics.
# # #