CAMPBELL, California, July 8, 2013—Market research firm Infonetics Research released excerpts from its latest Mobile VoIP Services and Subscribers report, which tracks voice over Long Term Evolution (VoLTE) and over-the-top (OTT) mVoIP service revenue, subscribers and deployments by world region.
“While Skype dominates the over-the-top mobile VoIP space, the market is seeing other applications such as Fring, KakaoTalk, Line, Nimbuzz, WeChat and Viber gain in strength,” notes Diane Myers, Infonetics Research’s principal analyst for VoIP, UC and IMS. “But the fact remains that most OTT mVoIP providers are making very little money per user. In 2012, the average revenue per user was a meager US$7.13 annually. Since this alone is an unsustainable business model, most providers are turning to advertising, third-party apps and wholesale arrangements with traditional operators.”
Co-author of the report Stéphane Téral, Infonetics Research’s principal analyst for mobile infrastructure and carrier economics, adds: “On the VoLTE front, the success of SK Telecom’s VoLTE adoption—3.6 million subscribers in April 2013—has lifted our forecast: we now expect 12 commercial VoLTE networks and 8 million VoLTE subscribers by year-end, with about three-quarters of those in Asia Pacific.”
MOBILE VOIP MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- The number of global OTT mobile VoIP subscribers shot up more than 550% in 2012, to over 640 million, and is expected to approach the 1 billion mark in 2013
- Microsoft/Skype had roughly 40% of all active users of OTT mobile VoIP services in 2012
- Infonetics projects the number of VoLTE subscribers to grow at a 145% compound annual growth rate from 2012 to 2017
- Combined, over-the-top mobile VoIP and VoLTE services are expected to become a $16 billion business by 2017
CLIENT CONFERENCE CALL
Clients, join live or view on-demand our analyst conference call on July 10 (11:00 a.m. ET) mobile VoIP market recap and outlook. Log in for conference call info: http://www.infonetics.com/cgp/login.asp?id=673.
MVOIP REPORT SYNOPSIS
Infonetics' Mobile VoIP service includes a 17-page analysis report and a customizable Excel report with global and regional market size and forecasts through 2017 of OTT and VoLTE service revenue, ARPU and subscribers. The report also includes an OTT mVoIP and VoLTE Services Deployment Tracker by service provider, platform and launch date. Providers currently tracked include AT&T, China Mobile, Du, Etisalat, Fring, Google Voice, KakaoTalk, KT, LG U+, Line, Nimbuzz, Orange, Rebtel, SK Telecom, Skype, Telefónica, T-Mobile Bobsled, T-Mobile USA/MetroPCS, Verizon Wireless, Viber, WeChat, others. To buy the report, contact Infonetics: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.
UPCOMING MARKET FORECASTS, SURVEYS & SCORECARDS
Download report highlights, tables of contents and prospectuses at http://www.infonetics.com/login or our Research Calendar at http://bit.ly/zwjcRs.
Visit https://www.infonetics.com/infonetics-events/ to learn more or register for Infonetics events.
TO BUY REPORTS, CONTACT SALES:
- N. America (West), Asia Pacific: Larry Howard, firstname.lastname@example.org, +1-408-583-3335
- N. America (East), Midwest, L. America: Scott Coyne, email@example.com, +1-408-583-3395
- EMEA, India, Singapore: George Stojsavljevic, firstname.lastname@example.org, +44-755-488-1623
- Japan, South Korea, China, Taiwan: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete more effectively. View Infonetics' brief About Us slides at http://bit.ly/QUrbrV.
Follow Infonetics on Twitter for the latest headlines: http://twitter.com/infonetics.
# # #