Boston, MASSACHUSETTS, October 2, 2014—Market research firm Infonetics Research released excerpts from its 2014 100G+ and ROADM Strategies: Global Service Provider Survey, which details the plans of operators transitioning optical transmission and switching equipment to higher-speed 100G+ wavelengths.
“The big battleground for vendors of 100G-and-beyond coherent equipment and components has shifted to the metro as winners for long reach core applications have been decided,” says Andrew Schmitt, principal analyst for carrier transport networking at Infonetics Research.
“There are two very distinct markets for coherent technology. One market is deploying long haul coherent today and will transition to metro in the coming years. But there is another, separate customer type that is already fully committed to deploying coherent technology in the metro today,” Schmitt adds. “These two markets have major implications for the supply chain regarding product specialization and the relative lack of interest in flex coherent technology by
100G+ AND ROADM SURVEY HIGHLIGHTS
- Respondent operators have reasonable expectations for pricing for coherent metro-regional and access applications versus the core
- When it comes to end-use applications for metro 100G, study participants view data center interconnect as the clear killer app for the next 12 months
- Respondents also expect a greater uptake of 100GE transport when compared to previous years’ Infonetics surveys
- Those surveyed expect 100G WDM to account for almost 40% of all metro wavelength deployments and 75% of the core network in 2017
- Pluggable CFP and CFP2 technology is perceived by respondents as a more important technology for the metro this year than it was last year
FREE OPTICAL WEBINAR AND WHITEPAPER
Join Infonetics analyst Andrew Schmitt Oct. 28 at 11:00 A.M. EDT for Building More Efficient Networks with Multi-Layer Packet-Optical, an event examining how network operators are building more capable and efficient networks. Register to attend live or access the replay at:
ABOUT INFONETICS' 100G/ROADM SURVEY
For its 19-page 100G+ and ROADM strategies survey, Infonetics interviewed 31 incumbent, competitive, mobile, and cable operators from EMEA, North America, and Asia that have an optical transport network using WDM. Together, the respondents represent a significant 33% of the world’s telecom revenue and 36% of global capex. The survey covers 100G WDM price points, metro coherent wavelength deployment trends, end-use applications for metro 100G, metro and core technology adoption rates, and key technologies for optical transport. To buy the report, contact Infonetics: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.
RELATED REPORT EXCERPTS
RECENT AND UPCOMING OPTICAL RESEARCH
Download Infonetics’ 2014 market research brochure, publication calendar, events brochure, report highlights, tables of contents, and more at http://www.infonetics.com/login.
Visit https://www.infonetics.com/infonetics-events to register for upcoming webinars, view recent webinars on demand, or learn about sponsoring a webinar.
- Building More Efficient Networks with Multi-Layer Packet-Optical (Oct. 28: Register)
- Coherent Optics: Cheaper, Better, Faster (View on-demand)
- SDN for Optical Networks (Sponsor)
INFONETICS IS HIRING
Infonetics Research is hiring analysts. See our job openings here.
TO INQUIRE ABOUT RESEARCH, CONTACT:
- N. America (West), Asia Pacific: Larry Howard, email@example.com, +1-408-583-3335
- N. America (East, Midwest), Latin America: Scott Coyne, firstname.lastname@example.org, +1-408-583-3395
- Europe, Middle East, Africa, India: Iyassu Soquar, email@example.com, +1 408-583-3397
- Greater China, Southeast Asia: 大中华区 Jeffrey Song, firstname.lastname@example.org, +86 21-3919-8505
- Japan: 日本 Takashi Kimura, TAK Analytics email@example.com, +81 3-6408-5566
- South Korea: 대한민국 Doug Moon, MBAP firstname.lastname@example.org, +82 2-3453-9400
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete more effectively. View Infonetics' About Us slides.
Follow Infonetics on Twitter for the latest headlines: http://twitter.com/infonetics.
# # #