Boston, MASSACHUSETTS, October 6, 2014—Market research firm Infonetics Research released its latest OTN and Packet Optical Hardware report, which tracks OTN switching and transport equipment as well as packet-optical transport system (P-OTS) market share.
OPTICAL ANALYST NOTE
“The dramatic growth of OTN switching we saw last year carried over into the first half of 2014 (1H14), with revenue soaring 35% from the same period a year ago as deployment is catalyzed by service providers continuing rollouts of 100G coherent technology,” notes Andrew Schmitt, principal analyst for carrier transport networking at Infonetics Research. “Most of the growth in OTN switching is coming from North America as spending trends stagnate again in EMEA.”
Schmitt adds: “The P-OTS market is also up 35% in 1H14, as providers continue to favor packet optical systems that combine OTN and Ethernet switching over more complex and expensive carrier Ethernet systems.”
OTN AND P-OTS MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- The global optical transport network (OTN) market totaled $4.3 billion in the first half of 2014 (1H14), an increase of 9% from the first half of 2013 (1H13)
- Alcatel-Lucent, Ciena, and Infinera are the key beneficiaries as service providers adopt integrated WDM and OTN switching and deploy 100G coherent technology in the core
- Meanwhile, Chinese carriers continue to expand deployments of OTN switching, benefitting both Huawei and ZTE
- Incumbent vendors Ciena, Cisco, Coriant, Fujitsu, and Huawei (listed in alphabetical order) are the P-OTS market leaders, and new players BTI, Cyan, and Transmode are challenging with pure-play P-OTS platforms
- The OTN market is forecast by Infonetics to grow at a 12% compound annual growth rate (CAGR) from 2013 to 2018, slightly faster than the wavelength division multiplexing (WDM) segment
FREE OPTICAL WEBINAR AND WHITEPAPER
Join Infonetics analyst Andrew Schmitt Oct. 28 at 11:00 A.M. EDT for Building More Efficient Networks with Multi-Layer Packet-Optical, an event examining how network operators are building more capable and efficient networks. Register to attend live or access the replay at:
OPTICAL ANALYST CONFERENCE CALL FOR CLIENTS
Clients, log in to view on-demand Andrew Schmitt's OTN and P-OTS market recap and outlook: www.infonetics.com/cgp/login.asp?id=875
P-OTS / OTN REPORT SYNOPSIS
Infonetics’ biannual OTN and packet optical report provides worldwide and regional market size, vendor market share, forecasts through 2018, analysis, and trends for OTN transport and switching hardware, including metro edge and metro regional port revenue forecasts by type and speed. Companies tracked: Adtran, Adva, Alcatel Lucent, BTI, Ciena, Cisco, Coriant (Tellabs), Cyan, ECI, Ericsson, Fujitsu, Huawei, Infinera, NEC, NSN, Transmode, ZTE, others. To buy the report, contact Infonetics: www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.
RELATED REPORT EXCERPTS
RECENT AND UPCOMING RESEARCH
Download Infonetics’ 2014 market research brochure, publication calendar, events brochure, report highlights, tables of contents, and more at http://www.infonetics.com/login.
Visit https://www.infonetics.com/infonetics-events to register for upcoming webinars, view recent webinars on demand, or learn about sponsoring a webinar.
- Building More Efficient Networks with Multi-Layer Packet-Optical (Oct. 28: Register)
- Coherent Optics: Cheaper, Better, Faster (View on-demand)
- SDN for Optical Networks (Sponsor)
INFONETICS IS HIRING
Infonetics Research is hiring analysts. See our job openings here.
TO INQUIRE ABOUT RESEARCH, CONTACT:
- N. America (West), Asia Pacific: Larry Howard, firstname.lastname@example.org, +1-408-583-3335
- N. America (East, Midwest), Latin America, EMEA: Scott Coyne, email@example.com, +1-408-583-3395
- Greater China, S.E. Asia, India: 大中华区 Jeffrey Song, firstname.lastname@example.org, +86 21-3919-8505
- Japan: 日本 Takashi Kimura, TAK Analytics email@example.com, +81 3-6408-5566
- South Korea: 대한민국 Doug Moon, MBAP firstname.lastname@example.org, +82 2-3453-9400
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete more effectively. View Infonetics' About Us slides.
Follow Infonetics on Twitter for the latest headlines: http://twitter.com/infonetics.
# # #