Boston, MASSACHUSETTS, November 14, 2014—Market research firm Infonetics Research released excerpts from its latest 10G/40G/100G Optical Transceivers report, which tracks in granular detail 10-, 40-, and 100-Gigabit optical transceivers sold into the optical transport, enterprise, data center, and carrier routing and switching markets.
“Major growth in the data center for 100GbE is on the horizon due to new silicon entering the market and lower-cost QSFP28 optics, including SR4 and much cheaper 2km LR4 optics,” says Andrew Schmitt, principal analyst for carrier transport networking at Infonetics Research. “Interest in 25GbE is also building momentum for a jump in these formats.”
“In the telecom world, the market for 100G coherent equipment is controlled by five vendors—Alcatel-Lucent, Ciena, Cisco, Huawei, and Infinera—who are vertically integrated, and this is preventing an incursion by standalone component vendors,” adds Schmitt. “We expect volumes in the metro 100G market to ramp in a year and, according to service providers, this will be led by data center and internet content providers.”
OPTICAL TRANSCEIVER MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- Globally, 10G, 40G, and 100G transceiver revenue totaled $1.9 billion in 2013, up 18% from 2012, owing almost entirely to increased shipments of 100G WDM and 40G QSFP+
- In the first half of 2014 (1H14), 10G/40G/100G transceiver revenue grew 11% from the same period a year ago, and full-year 2014 sales are expected to reach $2.1B, a 10% increase over 2013
- Infonetics forecasts the coherent WDM market to double in 2014
- Big growth in 40G data center interfaces is impacting 10G volumes, as QSFP+-based interfaces used for high-density 10G start encroaching; growth in the 10G datacom segment is expected to slow beginning this year
- Shipments of 40GbE QSFP optics in 1H14 were lower than anticipated due to softer demand from internet content providers, whose needs remain erratic due to a lack of effective forecasting, irregular demand trends, and unpredictable order patterns
- Interest in 100G data center optics is accelerating, but has yet to be turbocharged by widespread data center deployment in the way 40G QSFP optics have been
Infonetics’ optical transceivers report provides worldwide market size, forecasts through 2018, analysis, and trends for manufacturer revenue, units shipped, and ARPU. The report analyzes the optical transceiver market by module speed (10G, 40G, 100G), reach, wavelength, and form factor. Unit volume forecasts are based on Infonetics’ 1G/10G/40G/100G Networking Ports forecast, which aggregates trends from a wide range of enterprise, datacenter, optical transport, and carrier routing and switching equipment. To buy the report, contact Infonetics: www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.
OPTICAL ANALYST CONFERENCE CALL FOR CLIENTS
Infonetics clients are invited to view on-demand analyst Andrew Schmitt’s optical transceiver market recap and outlook at www.infonetics.com/cgp/login.asp?id=877.
RECENT & UPCOMING RESEARCH
Download Infonetics’ 2014 market research brochure, publication calendar, events brochure, report highlights, tables of contents, and more at www.infonetics.com/login.
Visit www.infonetics.com/infonetics-events to register for upcoming webinars, view recent webinars on demand, or learn about sponsoring a webinar.
- Building More Efficient Networks with Multi-Layer Packet-Optical (View on-demand)
- Optical Transport for Data Centers and Content Providers (Feb. 24: Learn More)
- SDN for Optical Networks (Sponsor)
INFONETICS IS HIRING
Infonetics Research is hiring analysts. See job openings at www.infonetics.com/jobopp.asp.
TO INQUIRE ABOUT RESEARCH, CONTACT:
- N. America (West), Asia Pacific: Larry Howard, firstname.lastname@example.org, +1-408-583-3335
- N. America (East, Midwest), L. America, EMEA: Scott Coyne, email@example.com, +1-408-583-3395
- Greater China, SE Asia, India: 大中华区 Jeffrey Song, firstname.lastname@example.org, +86 21-3919-8505
- Japan: 日本 Takashi Kimura, TAK Analytics email@example.com, +81 3-6408-5566
- South Korea: 대한민국 Doug Moon, MBAP firstname.lastname@example.org, +82 2-3453-9400
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete more effectively. View Infonetics' About Us slides.
Follow Infonetics on Twitter for the latest headlines: http://twitter.com/infonetics.
# # #