Campbell, CALIFORNIA, November 19, 2014—Market research firm Infonetics Research released excerpts from its latest Pay TV Services and Subscribers report, which forecasts and analyzes the cable TV, satellite TV, and telco internet protocol television (IPTV), and over-the-top (OTT) services markets.
PAY-TV ANALYST NOTE
“Subscription-based over-the-top (OTT) providers like Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon have seen phenomenal growth over the last couple of years. With a combination of wide availability across end devices, user-friendly interfaces, and access to vast content libraries, these providers continue to challenge traditional pay-TV providers and are in the early stages of siphoning off revenue,” notes Jeff Heynen, principal analyst for broadband access and pay TV at Infonetics Research.
“But beyond this approach,” continues Heynen, “OTT providers are now expanding their relationships with traditional pay-TV providers to get their apps and services integrated directly onto consumer set-top boxes (STBs), gaining access to a much larger pool of current pay-TV subscribers.”
PAY-TV MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- Over-the-top (OTT) pay-TV revenue is forecast by Infonetics to grow from $5.8 billion in 2014 to just over $10 billion in 2018
- The global pay-TV market totaled $117 billion in the first half of 2014 (1H14), an increase of 3.9% from the first half of 2013 (1H13)
- Satellite and telco pay-TV service revenue continues to grow, driven by new subscribers and increased average revenue per user (ARPU) in North America and Western Europe
- However, much of the increased revenue per user is being offset by ever-increasing content costs
- Pay-TV subscribers reached 837 million in 1H14, growing 10% over 2013, with the strongest growth again coming from the telco pay-TV segment
PAY-TV SUBSCRIBER DATABASE
See Infonetics’ companion Pay TV Subscriber Database and Video Equipment Tracker, published November 4, 2014, for additional data and demographics on the digital and analog cable pay-TV, satellite pay-TV, and telco IPTV subscribers of more than 140 providers around the world. Combined with the included Video Equipment Tracker by Provider Tracker, this service helps pay-TV equipment vendors focus sales efforts by keeping track of which operators are adding pay-TV subscribers and where, and allows pay-TV operators to keep an eye on the activities of peers.
ANALYST CONFERENCE CALL FOR CLIENTS
Infonetics clients are invited to join analyst Jeff Heynen live or on-demand Nov. 7 at noon EST for a video market outlook. Log in for call password: www.infonetics.com/cgp/login.asp?id=841.
ABOUT INFONETICS' VIDEO SERVICES REPORT
Infonetics’ biannual pay-TV services and subscribers report provides worldwide and regional market share, market size, forecasts through 2018, analysis, and trends for telco IPTV, analog and digital cable video, and satellite video service revenue, ARPU, and subscribers and OTT revenue and subscribers. Pay-TV providers tracked: AT&T, Beijing Gehua, BCE (Bell Canada), British Sky Broadcasting, Cablevision, CanalSat, Charter, China Telecom, Comcast, Cox, DirecTV, DISH Network, J:COM, Jiangsu Cable, Kabel Deutschland, Netflix, Orange, Shaw, Sky Italia, Tata Sky, Time Warner Cable, UPC Broadband, Verizon, Virgin Media, and many others. To buy the report, contact Infonetics: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.
RELATED REPORT EXCERPTS
RECENT AND UPCOMING PAY TV AND VIDEO RESEARCH
Download Infonetics’ 2014 market research brochure, publication calendar, events brochure, report highlights, tables of contents, and more at http://www.infonetics.com/login.
Visit https://www.infonetics.com/infonetics-events to register for upcoming webinars, view recent webinars on demand, or learn about sponsoring a webinar.
- Virtualizing Video Processing to Distribute Multiscreen TV (Dec. 16: Learn More)
- New Architectures Driving Cable Broadband Networks (View on-demand)
- Delivering Gigabit Broadband: A Primer (View on-demand)
- Why Fiber Isn't a Must: Extending Copper Access Networks with Vectoring and G.Fast (Sponsor)
INFONETICS IS HIRING
Infonetics is hiring analysts. See job openings at www.infonetics.com/jobopp.asp.
TO INQUIRE ABOUT RESEARCH, CONTACT:
- N. America (West), Asia Pacific: Larry Howard, email@example.com, +1-408-583-3335
- N. America (East, Midwest), L. America, EMEA: Scott Coyne, firstname.lastname@example.org, +1-408-583-3395
- Greater China, SE Asia, India: 大中华区 Jeffrey Song email@example.com +86 21-3919-8505
- Japan: 日本 Takashi Kimura, TAK Analytics firstname.lastname@example.org +81 3-6408-5566
- South Korea: 대한민국 Doug Moon, MBAP email@example.com, +82 2-3453-9400
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete more effectively. View Infonetics' brief About Us slides at http://bit.ly/QUrbrV.
Follow Infonetics on Twitter for the latest headlines: http://twitter.com/infonetics.
# # #