Campbell, CALIFORNIA, October 14, 2014—Market research firm Infonetics Research released excerpts from its 2nd quarter 2014 (2Q14) Set-Top Boxes and Pay TV Subscribers report, which tracks IP, cable, satellite, and digital terrestrial (DTT) set-top boxes (STBs) and over-the-top (OTT) media servers.
“The global set-top box (STB) market is in a fascinating period of mixed signals. While quarterly unit shipments are up, on a year-over-year basis shipments are down. And though nearly all STB product categories saw volume increases in 2Q14, satellite shipments continue a downward trend, while cable set-tops are growing due to an ongoing refresh cycle in North America and Europe,” says Infonetics' Jeff Heynen, principal analyst for broadband access and pay TV.
2Q14 SET-TOP BOX MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- Globally, set-top box (STB) revenue—including IP, cable, satellite, and DTT STBs and OTT media servers—is up 4% in 2Q14 from 1Q14, to $4.8 billion
- STB unit shipments grew 7% sequentially in 2Q14, but are down 3% from the year-ago
2nd quarter (2Q13)
- Cable STB revenue increased by 3% sequentially in 2Q14, and unit shipments grew 4% during this same period
- Arris, the worldwide STB market share leader, gained almost 2 share percentage points in 2Q14 over 1Q14
- Over-the-top (OTT) media servers are quickly becoming the STB of choice for pay TV providers in emerging markets such as China, where free video content is abundant and service providers are looking to bundle live streaming video with their own
- The worldwide STB market is forecast by Infonetics to grow at a -0.05% compound annual growth rate (CAGR) from 2013 to 2018, when it will total $19.2 billion
- In 2018, satellite STBs are expected to contribute the majority of STB revenue at 36%
STB REPORT SYNOPSIS
Infonetics' quarterly STB report provides worldwide and regional market size, vendor market share, forecasts through 2018, analysis, and trends for IP STBs; cable and satellite STBs (digital, hybrid, video gateways, media players); DTT STBs; and OTT media servers. The report also tracks telco IPTV and cable and satellite video subscribers. Vendors tracked: ADB, Apple, Arris, Changhong, Cisco, Coship, DVN, Echostar, Huawei, Humax, Jiuzhou, Kingvon, Netgem, Pace, Roku, Sagemcom, Samsung, Skyworth Digital, Technicolor, ZTE, others. To buy the report, contact Infonetics: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.
RELATED REPORT EXCERPTS
RECENT AND UPCOMING PAY TV / BROADBAND RESEARCH
Download Infonetics’ 2014 market research brochure, publication calendar, events brochure, report highlights, tables of contents, and more at www.infonetics.com/login.
Visit www.infonetics.com/infonetics-events to register for upcoming webinars, view recent webinars on demand, or learn about sponsoring a webinar.
- New Architectures Driving Cables Broadband Networks(View on-demand)
- Delivering Gigabit Broadband: A Primer (View on-demand)
- Virtualizing Video Processing to Distribute Multiscreen TV (Dec. 16: Sponsor)
INFONETICS IS HIRING
Infonetics Research is hiring analysts. See our job openings here.
TO INQUIRE ABOUT RESEARCH, CONTACT:
- N. America (West), Asia Pacific: Larry Howard, email@example.com, +1-408-583-3335
- N. America (East, Midwest), Latin America: Scott Coyne, firstname.lastname@example.org, +1-408-583-3395
- Europe, Middle East, Africa, India: Iyassu Soquar, email@example.com, +44 20 7819 9954
- Greater China, Southeast Asia: 大中华区 Jeffrey Song, firstname.lastname@example.org, +86 21-3919-8505
- Japan: 日本 Takashi Kimura, TAK Analytics email@example.com, +81 3-6408-5566
- South Korea: 대한민국 Doug Moon, MBAP firstname.lastname@example.org, +82 2-3453-9400
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete more effectively. View Infonetics' About Us slides.
Follow Infonetics on Twitter for the latest headlines: http://twitter.com/infonetics.
# # #