Boston, MASSACHUSETTS, September 8, 2014—Market research firm Infonetics Research released excerpts from its 2nd quarter 2014 (2Q14) Wireless LAN Equipment and WiFi Phones report, which tracks enterprise access points, wireless LAN (WLAN) controllers, and WiFi phones.
WLAN ANALYST NOTE
“Despite access point shipments reaching record levels, revenue growth in the wireless LAN market has been relatively weak so far this year due to temporary declines in service provider and K–12 spending, 802.11ac failing to lift average selling prices, and the rise of lower-cost solutions, including controller-less approaches,” notes Matthias Machowinski, directing analyst for enterprise networks and video at Infonetics Research.
Machowinski adds: “That said, we expect the wireless LAN equipment market to accelerate in 2015 as spending by service providers and education comes back, 802.11ac reaches critical mass, and Wave 2 products enter the market.”
2Q14 WLAN MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- Global wireless LAN (WLAN) equipment sales totaled $1.2 billion in 2Q14, up 13% sequentially, and up 4% year-over-year
- Access point shipments are up by a third year-over-year in 2Q14
- Controller revenue is down 5% in 2Q14 from the year-ago 2nd quarter
- 802.11ac access point penetration has nearly doubled every quarter and is starting to cannibalize 802.11n
- WiFi phone revenue is down again in 2Q14, declining 1% quarter-over-quarter and 15% year-over-year
ANALYST CONFERENCE CALL FOR CLIENTS
Clients, log in to join analyst Matthias Machowinski Sept. 12 at 11:00 AM EDT for his quarterly WLAN market recap and outlook, or view on-demand: www.infonetics.com/cgp/login.asp?id=915.
WIRELESS LAN REPORT SYNOPSIS
Infonetics’ quarterly WLAN equipment report provides worldwide and regional market size, vendor market share, forecasts through 2018, analysis, and trends for WLAN infrastructure, including access points by type and technology, WLAN controllers, and enterprise single-mode WiFi phones. Vendors tracked: Aerohive, Alcatel-Lucent, Aruba, Brocade, Buffalo, Cisco, D-Link, Extreme, Juniper, Meru, Motorola, Netgear, HP, Huawei, Ruckus, Spectralink, TP Link, Ubiquiti, Vocera, Xirrus, others. To buy the report, contact Infonetics: www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.
RELATED REPORT EXCERPTS
RECENT & UPCOMING RESEARCH
Download Infonetics’ 2014 market research brochure, publication calendar, events brochure, report highlights, tables of contents, and more at http://www.infonetics.com/login.
Visit www.infonetics.com/infonetics-events to register for upcoming webinars, view recent webinars on demand, or learn about sponsoring a webinar.
- Shifting to the Cloud: Managing Next-Gen WLANs (View on-demand)
- Simplifying Networks with Centralized Signaling and Routing (Sept. 9: Register)
- Network Control, Cloud, and SDN: What Role Will the PCRF Play? (Sept. 10: Register)
- The Role of NFV in Mobile Networks (Sept. 25: Register)
- Making the Enterprise WAN Cloud-Ready (Sponsor)
INFONETICS IS HIRING
Infonetics Research is hiring analysts. See our job openings here.
TO INQUIRE ABOUT RESEARCH, CONTACT:
- N. America (West), Asia Pacific: Larry Howard, firstname.lastname@example.org, +1-408-583-3335
- N. America (East, Midwest), L. America, EMEA: Scott Coyne, email@example.com, +1-408-583-3395
- Greater China, SE Asia, India: 大中华区 Jeffrey Song, firstname.lastname@example.org, +86 21-3919-8505
- Japan: 日本 Takashi Kimura, TAK Analytics email@example.com, +81 3-6408-5566
- South Korea: 대한민국 Doug Moon, MBAP firstname.lastname@example.org, +82 2-3453-9400
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete more effectively. View Infonetics' About Us slides.
Follow Infonetics on Twitter for the latest headlines: http://twitter.com/infonetics.
# # #