Campbell, CALIFORNIA, March 10, 2014—Market research firm Infonetics Research released vendor market share and preliminary analysis from its 4th quarter 2013 (4Q13) and year end SAN and Converged Data Center Network Equipment report, which tracks storage area network (SAN) Fibre channel switches and host bus adapters (HBAs), converged data center network adapters, and switch ports in use for storage. (Full report published March 17.)
“We’ve got a two-way horse race in the converged data center network adapter market. QLogic’s purchase of Brocade’s adapter business and Broadcom’s Ethernet controller business will put QLogic in the number-2 spot behind Emulex when the deal closes later this year,” notes Cliff Grossner, Ph.D., directing analyst for data center and cloud at Infonetics Research. “Emulex is firing back with 40GE converged network adapters (CNAs), which it will begin shipping this quarter (1Q14) — the first adapter vendor to do so.”
SAN AND CONVERGED DATA CENTER NETWORK ADAPTER MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- Worldwide SAN equipment revenue (Fibre Channel switches and adapters) grew 14% sequentially in 4Q13, to $648 million
- 16G Fibre Channel started shipping in large quantities in 2013, but it was not enough to save the SAN equipment market from a 7% decline year-over-year
- Brocade took 54% of SAN equipment revenue in 2013, gaining 3 points, mostly at the expense of Cisco
- The converged data center network adapter market is up 12% in 2013 from 2012, with CNAs in the lead, followed by iSCSI adapters; universal adapters are at the back of the pack
DATA CENTER VIRTUALIZATION WEBINAR
Join analyst Cliff Grossner March 25 for Virtualizing Networks with SDN NVOs and Bare Metal Switches, a live event exploring how network virtualization overlays (NVOs) and bare metal networking make data center network virtualization faster, easier, and more affordable: http://w.on24.com/r.htm?e=746584&s=1&k=F8942DEE951A3E32B8495DE59289A1E3
ANALYST CONFERENCE CALL
Clients: log in to join analyst Cliff Grossner March 24 at noon ET for a live SAN and converged data center market update, or view on-demand: https://www.infonetics.com/cgp/login.asp?id=889.
Infonetics’ quarterly SAN equipment and converged data center network report provides worldwide and regional market size, vendor market share, forecasts through 2018, analysis, and trends for chassis and fixed Fibre Channel switches; Fibre Channel HBAs; converged data center switch ports-in-use for storage (iSCSI, FCoE, FC-to-FCoE); and converged data center network adapters (iSCSI, CNAs, universal). Vendors tracked: Alcatel-Lucent, Arista, ATTO, Brocade, Broadcom, Cisco, Dell, Emulex, HP, IBM (BNT), Intel, Juniper, QLogic, and others. To buy the report, contact Infonetics: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.
RELATED REPORT EXCERPTS
RECENT & UPCOMING DATA CENTER RESEARCH
Download Infonetics’ 2014 market research brochure, publication calendar, events brochure, report highlights, tables of contents, and more at http://www.infonetics.com/login.
Visit https://www.infonetics.com/infonetics-events to register for upcoming webinars, view recent webinars on demand, or learn about sponsoring a webinar.
- SDN and NFV: The Nitty Gritty (Mar. 18: Attend)
- Using Big Data Analytics to Amplify Security Intelligence (Mar. 20: Attend)
- Virtualizing Networks with SDN NVOs and Bare Metal Switches (Mar. 25: Attend)
- Enterprise Shift to the Cloud - Agility to Meet Business Requirements (June: Sponsor)
- Data Center Equipment for the Enterprise: Best of Breed or Pre-Packaged (2H14: Sponsor)
- The New Data Center Network Edge: The vSwitch (2H14: Sponsor)
- A Practical Guide to Preparing the Enterprise for SDN (2H14: Sponsor)
TO BUY REPORTS, CONTACT SALES:
- N. America (West), Asia Pacific: Larry Howard, firstname.lastname@example.org, +1-408-583-3335
- N. America (East, Midwest), L. America: Scott Coyne, email@example.com, +1-408-583-3395
- EMEA, India, Singapore: George Stojsavljevic, firstname.lastname@example.org, +44-755-488-1623
- Japan, South Korea, China, Taiwan: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete more effectively. View Infonetics' brief About Us slides at http://bit.ly/QUrbrV.
Follow Infonetics on Twitter for the latest headlines: http://twitter.com/infonetics.
# # #