Campbell, CALIFORNIA, September 10, 2014—Market research firm Infonetics Research released excerpts from its 2014 Data Center and Enterprise SDN Hardware and Software report, which defines and sizes the market for software-defined networks (SDN).
“There is no longer any question about software-defined networking (SDN) playing a role in data center and enterprise networks. Data center and enterprise SDN revenue, including SDN capable Ethernet switches and SDN controllers, was up 192% year-over-year (2013 over 2012),” reports Cliff Grossner, Ph.D., directing analyst for data center, cloud, and SDN at Infonetics Research. “The early SDN explorers—NEC in Japan and pure-play SDN startups in North America—were joined in 2013 by the majority of traditional switch vendors and server virtualization vendors offering a wide selection of SDN products.”
"Even more eye opening," continues Grossner, “In-use for SDN Ethernet switch revenue, including branded Ethernet switches, virtual switches, and bare metal switches, grew more than 10-fold in 2013 from the prior year, driven by significant increases in white box bare metal switch deployments by very large cloud service providers such as Google and Amazon.”
DATA CENTER AND ENTERPRISE SDN MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- Vendors are seeding the market with SDN-capable Ethernet switches in the data center and enterprise LAN
- The leaders in the SDN market will be solidified during the next 2 years, as 2014 lab trials give way to live production deployments
- Bare metal switches are the top in-use for SDN-capable switch use case in the data center and are anticipated to account for 31% of total SDN-capable switch revenue by 2018
- Infonetics forecasts the “real” market for SDN—that is, in-use for SDN Ethernet switches and controllers—to reach $9.5 billion in 2018
- The adoption of SDN network virtualization overlays (NVOs) is expected to go mainstream by 2018
ANALYST CONFERENCE CALL FOR CLIENTS
Clients, log in to view on-demand Cliff Grossner’s SDN market recap and outlook conference call: www.infonetics.com/cgp/login.asp?id=860.
ENTERPRISE SDN AND DATA CENTER REPORT SYNOPSIS
Infonetics’ annual data center and enterprise SDN report provides worldwide and regional market size, forecasts through 2018, analysis, and trends for SDN controllers and Ethernet switches in use for SDN. Notably, the report tracks and forecasts SDN controllers and Ethernet switches in-use for SDN separately from SDN-capable Ethernet switches. The report also includes significant SDN vendor announcements. Vendors tracked: Alcatel-Lucent, Big Switch, Brocade, Cisco, Cumulus, Dell, Extreme, HP, Huawei, IBM, Juniper, Midokura, NEC, Pica8, Plexxi, PLUMgrid, Vello Systems, VMware, others. To buy the report, contact Infonetics: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.
RECENT & UPCOMING RESEARCH
Download Infonetics’ 2014 market research brochure, publication calendar, events brochure, report highlights, tables of contents, and more at www.infonetics.com/login.
Visit www.infonetics.com/infonetics-events to register for upcoming webinars, view recent webinars on demand, or learn about sponsoring a webinar.
- Making Your Network Run Hotter With SDN (View on-demand)
- NFV: An Easier Initial Target Than SDN? (View on-demand)
- SDN and NFV Roundup of Trials and Deployments (Oct. 23: Learn More)
- SDN: vSwitch or ToR, Where is the Network Intelligence, and Why? (Oct. 30: Sponsor)
INFONETICS IS HIRING
Infonetics Research is hiring analysts, sales, research, and audience development people. See jobs at www.infonetics.com/jobopp.asp.
TO INQUIRE ABOUT RESEARCH, CONTACT:
- N. America (West), Asia Pacific: Larry Howard, email@example.com, +1-408-583-3335
- N. America (East, Midwest), L. America, EMEA: Scott Coyne, firstname.lastname@example.org, +1-408-583-3395
- Greater China, SE Asia, India: 大中华区 Jeffrey Song, email@example.com, +86 21-3919-8505
- Japan: 日本 Takashi Kimura, TAK Analytics firstname.lastname@example.org, +81 3-6408-5566
- South Korea: 대한민국 Doug Moon, MBAP email@example.com, +82 2-3453-9400
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete more effectively. View Infonetics' About Us slides.
Follow Infonetics on Twitter for the latest headlines: http://twitter.com/infonetics.
# # #