Boston, MASSACHUSETTS, October 23, 2014—Market research firm Infonetics Research released excerpts from its 2014 Wireless LAN Strategies and Vendor Leadership: North America Enterprise Survey, which takes an in-depth look at how medium and large organizations are evolving their access networks to deliver wireless connectivity to users.
“Our annual study of WLAN deployments shows that enterprise access networks are undergoing a major transformation, driven by an influx of new devices, greater device diversity, and new application models,” says Matthias Machowinski, directing analyst for enterprise networks and video at Infonetics Research. “Not only are companies upgrading and expanding coverage to accommodate their growing needs, they’re also rethinking their approach to network operations and are looking to unify network silos and implement more flexible management approaches.”
Machowinski adds: “But the biggest change of all over the next year is improving the security of access networks. The last year has seen a number of high profile data breaches, and companies can’t afford to become the next victim.”
WIRELESS LAN SURVEY HIGHLIGHTS
- Respondent companies intend to grow the number of access points in their wireless networks by about 19% per year over the next 2 years
- The current installed base of access points is heavily tilted toward older WLAN generations, but for new access point deployments, respondents prefer 802.11ac by a margin of 2:1 over 802.11a/b/g/n
- The number of bring-your-own devices is growing from 29% of all devices today to almost 40% by 2016, driven by wider user adoption within existing BYOD companies, as well as multiple devices per user
- Respondents expect their user population to grow by 10% per year over the next 2 years, driven to a large extent by guest access, which will account for only 18% of the user population by 2016
FREE REPORT AND WEBINAR
Join Infonetics analyst Matthias Machowinski for Reshaping Enterprise Networks for Today's BYOD, IoT and Cloud World, a webinar co-hosted by Meru Networks Oct. 30 at 11:00 AM Eastern. Registrants receive a special 10-page Infonetics report. Sign in to access the report and webinar (live or on-demand):
WLAN SURVEY SYNOPSIS
For its 44-page WLAN study, Infonetics asked purchase-decision makers at 163 medium and large businesses in the U.S. and Canada about their plans for delivering wireless connectivity in the workplace over the next 2 years. The survey provides insights into the top access network changes; network-connected devices installed; Ethernet switch ports, access points, and WLAN access points deployed; WLAN technologies used (802.11a/b/g/n/ac); network traffic drivers; bring-your-own-device (BYOD) usage; WLAN equipment vendors; and network expenditures. To buy the report, contact Infonetics: www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.
RELATED REPORT EXCERPTS
RECENT AND UPCOMING RESEARCH
Download Infonetics’ 2014 market research brochure, publication calendar, events brochure, report highlights, tables of contents, and more at www.infonetics.com/login.
Visit www.infonetics.com/infonetics-events to register for upcoming webinars, view recent webinars on demand, or learn about sponsoring a webinar.
- Reshaping Enterprise Networks for Today's BYOD, IoT, and Cloud World (Oct. 30: Attend)
- Protecting Your Organization from DNS Security Threats (Nov. 13: Attend)
- Making the Enterprise WAN Cloud-Ready (View on-demand)
- Shifting to the Cloud: Managing Next-Gen WLANs (View on-demand)
INFONETICS IS HIRING
Infonetics Research is hiring analysts. See our job openings here.
TO INQUIRE ABOUT RESEARCH, CONTACT:
- N. America (West), Asia Pacific: Larry Howard, firstname.lastname@example.org, +1-408-583-3335
- N. America (East, Midwest), L. America, EMEA: Scott Coyne, email@example.com, +1-408-583-3395
- Greater China, SE Asia, India: 大中华区 Jeffrey Song, firstname.lastname@example.org, +86 21-3919-8505
- Japan: 日本 Takashi Kimura, TAK Analytics email@example.com, +81 3-6408-5566
- South Korea: 대한민국 Doug Moon, MBAP firstname.lastname@example.org, +82 2-3453-9400
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete more effectively. View Infonetics' About Us slides.
Follow Infonetics on Twitter for the latest headlines: http://twitter.com/infonetics.
# # #