Campbell, CALIFORNIA (November 16, 2015)—Data center and enterprise LAN software-defined networking (SDN) deployments began to ramp in the first half of 2015 (1H15), reports IHS (NYSE: IHS) in its latest IHS Infonetics Data Center and Enterprise SDN Hardware and Software report. IHS forecasts the market for ‘in-use’ SDN Ethernet switches and controllers to top $1.4 billion this year, nearly doubling from last year.
“New SDN use cases continue to emerge, and the first half of 2015 was no exception with the establishment of the software-defined enterprise WAN (SD-WAN) market. The SD-WAN market is still small, but many startups and traditional WAN optimization appliance vendors and network vendors have jumped in,” said Cliff Grossner, Ph.D., research director for data center, cloud and SDN at IHS.
“The data center and enterprise LAN SDN market will be solidified by the end of 2016 as lab trials give way to live production deployments. And in 2017, SDN will move from early adopters into the hands of mainstream buyers,” Grossner said.
DATA CENTER / ENTERPRISE SDN MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- In the first half of 2015 (1H15), bare metal switches accounted for 45 percent of global in-use SDN-capable Ethernet switch revenue
- Looking at the leaders in individual SDN categories:
- White box switch vendors, as a group, are #1 in bare metal switch revenue
- Dell owns 100 percent of branded bare metal switch revenue
- HP has the largest share of SDN-capable (in-use and not-in-use) branded Ethernet switch ports
- In-use virtual switch (vSwitch) ports are expected to make up 11 percent of SDN (in-use and not-in-use) ports shipped by the end of 2015
- SDN in-use physical Ethernet switches are forecast by IHS to comprise 15 percent of Ethernet switch market revenue in 2017, up from 4 percent today
SDN ANALYST CONFERENCE CALL
Clients: Log in for analyst Cliff Grossner’s data center and enterprise SDN market call, live Nov. 19 at 12:00 ET or on-demand: www.infonetics.com/cgp/login.asp?id=1041.
DC AND ENTERPRISE SDN REPORT SYNOPSIS
The biannual IHS Infonetics Data Center and Enterprise SDN Hardware and Software report provides worldwide and regional vendor market share, market size, forecasts through 2019, analysis and trends for SDN controllers, bare metal Ethernet switches and branded Ethernet switches in use for SDN. Notably, the report tracks and forecasts SDN controllers and Ethernet switches in-use for SDN separately from not-in-use SDN-capable Ethernet switches. Vendors tracked: Alcatel-Lucent, Arista, Big Switch, Brocade, Centec, Cisco, Cumulus, Dell, Extreme, HP, Huawei, Juniper, Lenovo, Midokura, NEC, Pica8, Plexxi, PLUMgrid, VMware, White Box, others. This report is part of the Data Center Networks Intelligence Service. To inquire about Intelligence Service subscriptions, please visit www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.
RECENT AND UPCOMING RESEARCH
Download the IHS Infonetics 2015 service brochure or log in: www.infonetics.com/login.
IHS INFONETICS WEBINARS (https://www.infonetics.com/infonetics-events)
- Securing the Data Center: The Role of Micro Segmentation (Nov. 18: Register)
- Which Architecture Is Best for SDN? (Dec. 15: Learn more)
- Improving Data Center Performance with 25/50GE (Watch now)
- How to Succeed with SD-WAN (Sponsor)
- From Clouds to the MetaCloud (Sponsor)
TO PURCHASE RESEARCH, CONTACT:
IHS Sales: +1 844-301-7334
About IHS (www.ihs.com)
IHS (NYSE: IHS) is the leading source of insight, analytics and expertise in critical areas that shape today’s business landscape. Businesses and governments in more than 150 countries around the globe rely on the comprehensive content, expert independent analysis and flexible delivery methods of IHS to make high-impact decisions and develop strategies with speed and confidence. IHS has been in business since 1959 and became a publicly traded company on the New York Stock Exchange in 2005. Headquartered in Englewood, Colorado, USA, IHS is committed to sustainable, profitable growth and employs about 8,800 people in 32 countries around the world.
IHS is a registered trademark of IHS Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners. © 2015 IHS Inc. All rights reserved.
# # #