Campbell, CALIFORNIA (August 13, 2015)—As service providers seek service agility and operational efficiency in their networks to stay competitive, the global market for carrier software-defined networking (SDN) software, hardware and services is expected to grow from $103 million in 2014 to $5.7 billion in 2019, according to IHS (NYSE: IHS).
“We’re still early in the long-term, 10- to 15-year transformation of service provider networks to SDN. Momentum is strong, but we won’t see widespread commercial deployments where bigger parts of — let alone whole — networks are controlled by SDN until 2016 through 2020,” said Michael Howard, senior research director for carrier networks at IHS.
ADDITIONAL CARRIER SDN MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- SDN software — including network apps, such as traffic analytics, and orchestration and controller software — is the critical piece that will convert a network into a software-defined network
- IHS predicts service providers around the world will increase their spending on SDN software by 15 times from 2015 to 2019
- Due to the newness of SDN technology and the fundamental changes it brings to networks, there is an incredible demand for expertise to design, deploy and operate SDN-based services, and carriers are looking to vendors for this expertise
- IHS expects outsourced services for SDN projects to grow at a 2014–2019 CAGR of 199 percent
ANALYST CONFERENCE CALL
Clients: Log in to view analyst Michael Howard’s carrier SDN market recap and outlook, live Aug. 14 at noon ET or on-demand: www.infonetics.com/cgp/login.asp?id=1108.
SDN SURVEY SYNOPSIS
The 2015 IHS Infonetics Carrier SDN Hardware, Software, and Services market size and forecast report, led by analyst Michael Howard, examines the markets and trends related to building service provider software-defined networks. Specifically, the report tracks software that provides orchestration, controller and application functions; outsourced services for SDN projects; and hardware in use for SDN networks, including routers, switches, WDM and video content delivery network (CDN) equipment, and other telecom equipment controlled by SDN orchestration and controllers, such as CPE. To purchase the report, please visit www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.
RECENT AND UPCOMING RESEARCH
Download the IHS Infonetics 2015 service brochure or log in: www.infonetics.com/login.
IHS INFONETICS WEBINARS (https://www.infonetics.com/infonetics-events)
- Building Application-Aware Mobile Networks Using SDN & NFV (Sept. 16: Register)
- SDN & NFV: Lessons Learned (Sept. 24: Learn more)
- SDN & NFV: Accelerating PoCs to Live Commercial Deployment (Watch now)
- Service Provider Experiences with NFV: The Good, the Bad & the Ugly (Watch now)
- Evolving Network Architectures: Cloud, SDN, NFV & Packet-Optical (Watch now)
- Which Architecture Is Best for SDN? (Sponsor)
- Router Bypass: Using NFV to Deliver Enterprise Services (Sponsor)
TO PURCHASE RESEARCH, CONTACT:
IHS Sales: +1 844-301-7334
About IHS (www.ihs.com)
IHS (NYSE: IHS) is the leading source of insight, analytics and expertise in critical areas that shape today’s business landscape. Businesses and governments in more than 150 countries around the globe rely on the comprehensive content, expert independent analysis and flexible delivery methods of IHS to make high-impact decisions and develop strategies with speed and confidence. IHS has been in business since 1959 and became a publicly traded company on the New York Stock Exchange in 2005. Headquartered in Englewood, Colorado, USA, IHS is committed to sustainable, profitable growth and employs about 8,800 people in 32 countries around the world.
IHS is a registered trademark of IHS Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners. © 2015 IHS Inc. All rights reserved.
# # #