Campbell, CALIFORNIA (May 29, 2015)—IHS (NYSE: IHS) conducted in-depth surveys with 150 businesses in North America about their data centers and found that 45 percent intend to increase spending on software-defined wide area networking (SD-WAN) over the next two years.
“Within the data center, raw speed with support for software-defined networking (SDN) and virtualized workloads are the top requirements for fabrics among companies participating in our enterprise data center study,” said Cliff Grossner, Ph. D., research director for data center, cloud and SDN IHS.
“Meanwhile, outside the data center, SDN-led transformation is taking hold in the WAN optimization market. There’s a shift from optimizing application traffic flows over a single point-to-point WAN link to automated and dynamic load balancing of application traffic over multiple link types—MPLS, broadband, internet, cellular, et cetera,” Grossner said.
DATA CENTER STRATEGIES SURVEY HIGHLIGHTS
- Security, application performance and scalability are respondent organizations’ top data center investment drivers
- The need for raw bandwidth continues to drive higher speeds in data center networking: Among enterprises surveyed, 100GE deployments are growing at the expense of 40GE, and 25GE is nearly invisible
- The use of solid state drives for storage is increasing and placing higher performance demands on storage networking
- By 2017, 71 percent of respondents plan to have software-defined storage products in live production, up from 15 percent today
DATA CENTER SURVEY SYNOPSIS
For the 31-page IHS Infonetics Data Center Strategies: North American Enterprise Survey, IHS interviewed purchase-decision makers at North American medium and large organizations about their plans for data center hardware, management software and cloud services over the next two years. Survey participants were asked about data center spending plans, investment drivers, sites, physical servers, virtualization, switch ports, Ethernet and storage technologies, and vendors. To purchase the report, contact Infonetics: www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.
RECENT AND UPCOMING RESEARCH
Download the IHS Infonetics 2015 service brochure or log in: www.infonetics.com/cgp/login.
INFONETICS WEBINARS (https://www.infonetics.com/infonetics-events)
- Software-Defined WAN for Agility and Cost Savings (June 16: Register)
- Bare Metal Switching: Is it for Everyone? (Watch now)
- Which Architecture Is Best for SDN? (Sponsor)
- Driving Cost Efficiency in the Data Center with 25GE (Sponsor)
- Data Center Orchestration: Open Source or Proprietary? (Sponsor)
TO PURCHASE RESEARCH, PLEASE CONTACT:
- N. America (West), Asia Pacific: Larry Howard, firstname.lastname@example.org, +1-408-583-3335
- N. America (East, Midwest), L. America, EMEA: Scott Coyne, email@example.com, +1-408-583-3395
- Greater China, SE Asia, India: 大中华区 Jeffrey Song, firstname.lastname@example.org +86 21-3919-8505
- Japan: 日本 Takashi Kimura, TAK Analytics email@example.com +81 3-6408-5566
About IHS (www.ihs.com)
IHS (NYSE: IHS) is the leading source of insight, analytics and expertise in critical areas that shape today’s business landscape. Businesses and governments in more than 150 countries around the globe rely on the comprehensive content, expert independent analysis and flexible delivery methods of IHS to make high-impact decisions and develop strategies with speed and confidence. IHS has been in business since 1959 and became a publicly traded company on the New York Stock Exchange in 2005. Headquartered in Englewood, Colorado, USA, IHS is committed to sustainable, profitable growth and employs about 8,800 people in 32 countries around the world.
IHS is a registered trademark of IHS Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners. © 2015 IHS Inc. All rights reserved.
# # #