Campbell, CALIFORNIA (June 11, 2015)—IHS (NYSE: IHS) conducted in-depth interviews with telecom carriers around the world to determine their plans for evaluating and deploying network functions virtualization (NFV) and found that 35 percent are planning to deploy NFV in 2015.
"Though we’re still in the early stages of a long-term transition to NFV-SDN architected networks, many carriers will be moving from proof-of-concept tests and lab evaluations to commercial deployments of NFV in 2015,” said Michael Howard, senior research director for carrier networks at IHS.
“In fact, all major operators are either now deploying NFV or plan to within the next few years,” Howard said. “Providers believe that NFV and its SDN (software-defined networking) companion are a fundamental change in telecom network architecture that will deliver benefits in service agility and new revenue, operational efficiencies and capex savings.”
NFV SURVEY HIGHLIGHTS
- 48 percent of carriers surveyed by IHS plan to evaluate NFV by the end of 2015
- Barriers becoming more prominent as operators get closer to commercial deployment include products not being carrier grade and finding and training staff
- The top NFV use cases respondent carriers plan to deploy in 2015–2016 include virtual enterprise CPE (vE-CPE), service chaining and virtual network platform as a service (VNPaaS)
NFV SURVEY SYNOPSIS
The 24-page IHS Infonetics NFV Strategies: Global Service Provider Survey is based on interviews with purchase-decision makers at 22 incumbent, competitive and mobile operators from EMEA, Asia Pacific and North America that together represent 43 percent of worldwide telecom capex and 39 percent of revenue. Survey participants have evaluated or deployed NFV in their networks or plan to do so by the end of 2017. Operators were asked about their strategies and timing for NFV, including deployment drivers and barriers, target use cases, applications and more. To purchase the report, please visit: www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.
RECENT AND UPCOMING RESEARCH
Download the IHS Infonetics 2015 service brochure or log in: www.infonetics.com/login.
IHS INFONETICS WEBINARS (https://www.infonetics.com/infonetics-events)
- Adopting Software-Defined WAN for Agility and Cost Savings (June 16: Register)
- Service Provider NFV: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (June 23: Register)
- Optical Transport for Data Centers and Content Providers (June 30: Register)
- Evolving Network Architectures: Cloud, SDN, NFV and Packet-Optical (Watch now)
- The Fast Way to Launch New Broadband Services: Virtual Networking (Watch now)
- SDN and NFV: Lessons Learned Moving from Lab to Commercial Service (Sponsor)
- Leveraging NFV for Carrier WiFi Services (Sponsor)
TO PURCHASE RESEARCH, PLEASE CONTACT:
- N. America (West), Asia Pacific: Larry Howard, firstname.lastname@example.org, +1-408-583-3335
- N. America (East, Midwest), L. America, EMEA: Scott Coyne, email@example.com, +1-408-583-3395
- Greater China, SE Asia, India: 大中华区 Jeffrey Song, firstname.lastname@example.org +86 21-3919-8505
- Japan: 日本 Takashi Kimura, TAK Analytics email@example.com +81 3-6408-5566
About IHS (www.ihs.com)
IHS (NYSE: IHS) is the leading source of insight, analytics and expertise in critical areas that shape today’s business landscape. Businesses and governments in more than 150 countries around the globe rely on the comprehensive content, expert independent analysis and flexible delivery methods of IHS to make high-impact decisions and develop strategies with speed and confidence. IHS has been in business since 1959 and became a publicly traded company on the New York Stock Exchange in 2005. Headquartered in Englewood, Colorado, USA, IHS is committed to sustainable, profitable growth and employs about 8,800 people in 32 countries around the world.
IHS is a registered trademark of IHS Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners. © 2015 IHS Inc. All rights reserved.
# # #