Andrew Schmitt is one of the most quoted and respected analysts in the optical network industry, leveraging over 20 years in the networking and communications industry including tenures at Vitesse Semiconductor, where he ran the carrier chipset unit, and Nyquist Capital, where he was a general partner at the investment consulting firm focused on the optical sector.
Andrew joined Infonetics (now IHS) in 2009 and leads its optical equipment and component coverage, authoring numerous market share and forecast reports, surveys, and opinion pieces on metro and long haul optical, WDM and ROADM deployment, packet-optical transport migration, OTN switching, and 10/40/100G+ adoption. As a consultant to startups, service providers, vendors, and the investment community, he helps clients identify new market opportunities, provides due diligence, and advises on positioning, product development, business plans, and M&A activity.
A highly sought speaker, Andrew frequently presents at events worldwide, including OFC/NFOEC, Fiber Optics Expo (FOE), and WDM & Next Generation Optical Networking. He is also regularly quoted in the press, including Light Reading, FierceTelecom, and Lightwave Online.
Andrew holds multiple patents, and earned his BS in Electrical Engineering at UCSB. He is based out of IHS’s Cambridge, Massachusetts, office.
Andrew Schmitt authors or co-authors the following services:
Market Size, Market Share, and Forecast Services
- 10G/40G/100G Optical Transceivers
- 1G/10G/40G/100G Networking Ports
- Optical Network Hardware: Worldwide, Regional, China, Japan, and India
- OTN and Packet-Optical Hardware
- ROADM Components
Global Service Provider Surveys
- 100G+ and ROADM Strategies
- Optical Equipment Vendor Leadership
- Packet-Optical, MPLS, and Control Plane Strategies
- Optical Network Hardware Vendor Scorecard
- Telecommunications Equipment Vendor Scorecard
Continuous Research Services
- Analyst Research Notes: Optical